Monty Don’s Japanese Gardens – BBC2 Fri, February 15 21:00

• Artemis3Artemis3 Posts: 449

Monty Don explores different aspects of Japanese gardens in a new two-part series on BBC2

For this new two-parter Monty Don is heading east to discover more about the intricate, unique and detailed world of Japanese gardens.

Starting in a cherry blossom orchard, Monty delves deep into one of ‘the three great gardens of Japan’ and a Zen garden before taking a lesson in the Japanese tea ceremony.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,191
    I like the little Japanese gardens that feature at Chelsea with chappy who does really intricate things with moss and rocks and water and maples and fills them with texture and sound but I find large expanses of raked pebbles with a strategic rock and a twisted branch leave me utterly bored.

I can hardly wait for him to start building a zen garden at Longacre.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,949
    It's a gardening programme - why on earth does he have to waste time learning how to drink tea??
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 5,420
    I suspect the tea ceremony is seen as an integral part of Japanese life, tied in with the Zen gardening etc.  It's not your bog standard how-to-do-it gardening programme.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
    I've been at a local lycée helping catering students with preparations for an English meal served in English as they'll need English if they are to travel and gain experience to further their careers.  They asked about English rituals and ceremonies for preparing tea.   Definitely nothing to do with gardening and of no interest to those of us who prefer coffee.

Given the expense and logistics of getting a team of cameramen and gofers to Japan, along with Monty, and their accommodation, meals, interior travel and interpreters when there, the least they could do is concentrate on gardens and gardening.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 5,420
    I suspect the programme makers think it will appeal to a wider audience if they include aspects of Japanese life as well as gardens, Obelixx.  Just not to us gardeners so much...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,328
    I remember when I was speaking to the , then, producer of GW and she told me those sort of programmes were classed as " travel " and not gardening. ( easier to get "the powers that be" to agree to it)
    Devon.
    Well, let's just hope the research team is not the same as the one that sent him to film the Taj Mahal gardens in the dry season when there was no water in the reflective pools or the ones that sent him to the Chinese Imperial summer gardens in the depths of winter when he did that odd 80 gardens series.
  • Zoe P2Zoe P2 Posts: 191
    Artemis3 said:

Monty Don explores different aspects of Japanese gardens in a new two-part series on BBC2

Please note this programme will not air in Wales.

I have a dream that my.. children.. one day.. will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character

Martin Luther King

Freesat?   Sky?   i-Player?