Apologies....Not a GW Question

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,540
    We have a lovely friend who always brings her own pillow . A good pillow is a wonderful thing so if you find one which suits, be my guest and bring it along.
    We had friends stay and she instructed her husband to photograph the bed so they could not only make it next morning, but replace the bedspread and arrange all the cushions in the correct order.
    Devon.
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,300
    I ask sometimes, as I don't know if people have got enough spare bedding. Also to save them the hassle. I had no idea anyone would find an offer insulting, they can always decline - I wouldn't insist! There's nowt so queer as folk.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • B3B3 Posts: 9,486
    I wouldn't be offended if someone asked
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 843
    My Aunt invited us to stay at her home in Sherborne as we returned from our camping trip in the IoW. I suggested she didn't go to any trouble and that we would use our sleeping bags on top of the bed, and she thought that was wonderful. I think it is a nice thing to offer if you are en route, but maybe a bit rude if the visit is directly to their home.

Personally, I like to offer fresh clean bedding, but as people get older, I understand that one or two nights sleeping as a guest means a lot of washing. It really depends on the circumstances.

SW Scotland
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 581
    If people come to stay with me they HAVE to bring bedding, we don't have spares. We have spare beds and sofas but no duvets or pillows, not everyone is rich enough to have multiples of everything.
    We stayed at a friends last month and took all our own stuff, as he doesn't have spares either.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,415
    A Boy - I'd just say thanks, but we have everything we need unless you have allergies.  Some people can't cope with feathers in pillows and duvets.

We have spare beds, bedding and spare towels - bath and hand/hair size - and love having friends stay.   We have two couples who manage to get by on just one hand towel to keep the washing down.  Seems odd to me.   When we stay with friends in the UK we always strip the bed before we go and we always take wine or, when we lived in Belgium, chocolates and the local artisan beer.  If we're staying a few days, we take them out for dinner and vice versa.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,849
    If someone invited me to stay the night, I would expect them to have clean bedding to put on their spare bed. If there was a houseful and I knew I wasn't going to be sleeping in a bed, then I would offer to take a blanket or a duvet and pillow. 
    Along a similar line I cannot understand on these house-y programmes, couples saying they need an extra room for the inlaws visiting once a year - what's wrong with the kids bunking up together or even the parents giving up their room for the visitors - or horrors above - a sofa bed in the living room??? it's only going to be for a couple of nights! And why does every child expect a double room to themselves these days?? (I'm feeling a bit grouchy!).
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,346
    edited 8 February
    My bedding is always clean for anyone who stays. I wash it after someone has stayed in the spare bed, and if it has not been used for a while, I wash it prior to someone staying as well. I never Iron my sheets. In fact the iron has dust on it. I iron as little as possible. Linen at a push.  Most things are tumble dried and folded while warm.  I have a slightly rumpled , lived in,  look.
    If people don't like it there are four hotels within walking distance.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,437
    I think that @Purplerain has hit the nail on the head,  when someone says..’don’t go to any trouble’ insinuating you may think it’s a trouble to entertain your guests. 

Its like if you buy a present for someone and they say ‘you shouldn’t have bothered’  
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,817
    We expect to provide fresh bedding to someone we’ve invited to stay as a guest. We wouldn’t be offended by offers to bring sleeping bags but would simply say there’s no need. 

However when I was a (mature) student other students staying over automatically brought sleeping bags.

If son is working in this area he and sometimes a colleague will ‘crash’ here and then they’ll bring sleeping bags as we are doing them a favour.  If folk are used to this sort of arrangement they may take it as a norm. Not a problem 😊 

I think it’s just someone trying to be polite and making an effort not to put you to a lot of trouble ... not casting nasturtiums on your hosting style  ;)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh