Combinations

I have cutback a honeysuckle that is positioned against a south facing wall.
Could you suggest a climber that could also be positioned on that wall alongside the honeysuckle.

• PosyPosy Posts: 1,413
    Clematis or roses, but it can be VERY difficult when you need to prune one but not the other.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 2,575
    edited 6 February
    The wall does not look that high. Not sure what type of honeysuckle you have, but as mentioned, some honeysuckles can get quite big and will need yearly controlling to make sure climbers don't over take the other plant. 

An evergreen shrub like Pyracantha can look nice on a low wall like that. You simply wall train them on canes or wire stretched along the wall. Early summer flowers followed by red or orange berries in autumn. 
  • Peter553Peter553 Posts: 35
    Wall is about 6 ft high . Many thanks for response
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 1,461
    That's a gem of a wall, be a shame to waste it,.. so I would certainly be planting something else..

Here is a honeysuckle in my garden, with a rambling rose... I do have to make sure most of the growth remains on my side, so one needs to be vigilant about that.. at least with a wall you don't have to worry about a fence falling down with the weight, hence a shoddy post support has got into my photo, since replaced with concrete.. but there you go..   

'Ghislaine de Feligonde' with Lonicera 'Red Gables'..

Many thanks for response Looks good to me and I have a rambling Rose that would work. Sounds like a plan. Ta Peter
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 12,886
    On a south facing wall I would put a jasmine.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
    Thanks. I had considered Jasmine but not sure it would survive West of Scotland climate but that would be my preferred option. Will check it out.
  • PosyPosy Posts: 1,413
    I live in the Isle of Wight, Peter and I can't grow jasmine outdoors. My garden is exposed to strong salty wind straight off the sea. Three miles down the road it flourishes in a sheltered garden. Sometimes you have to look really closely at the conditions you have, so don't rush into your decision!
    Thanks. Agree this house is close to sea and although the garden is at rear and has some shelter it may also be to exposed for Jasmine to survive westerly winds.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 12,087
    I can’t grow jasmine here either, tried twice, dug up and gone now, it’s very windy and high here. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose.