Reasons to be cheerful 2019 - the antidote to Curmudgeons' Corner

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,284
    Bought a new Coronilla valentina 'Lauren Stevenson' from Bob Brown tonight.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,159
    Have just been watching the pictures of the flypast in Sheffield and the story of the gentleman who has been maintaining the memorial to the American airmen for all these years. The whole thing was very moving, particularly his admission that he had felt so guilty for all these years. I was in tears by the end, but a story like that restores my faith in human nature (which has taken a bit of a battering of late tbh).
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,990
    AnniD said:
    Have just been watching the pictures of the flypast in Sheffield and the story of the gentleman who has been maintaining the memorial to the American airmen for all these years. The whole thing was very moving, particularly his admission that he had felt so guilty for all these years. I was in tears by the end, but a story like that restores my faith in human nature (which has taken a bit of a battering of late tbh).
    Anni - I made a point of watching it as I've followed the story since the initial chance meeting between Mr Foulds and Dan Walker [from  the Breakfast news ] in January. Dan was the man who really got the whole thing in motion, and it was terrific to see how everyone responded and made it happen. 
    It was inspiring, uplifting and moving in equal measure. Lovely to see the relatives of the men there as well.
    Glad I had plenty of hankies available....
    A very welcome change from the petty bickering, point scoring and general sh*te from the world of politics we've all been privy to for months. 

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• Finding so many amazing and helpful people here in one place, to help a total novice and scatterbrain like me  :)
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,284
    My pink cherry blossom is coming out!
  • B3B3 Posts: 9,527
    My reason to be cheerful today is the wonder of WD40. Fished out my sewing machine that I hadn't looked at in 20years and it wouldn't go. I was about to chuck it when I decided to try the magic spray. It's working perfectly. 
    Now I have to work out how to use it!
    I'm also cheerful about low tech equipment with no electronics apart from a pedal and a light bulb -things you can repair.
    There's a silver nobby diamond cut thing that looks like the weights you put on q pressure cooker on the top of the machine. I think it might be something to do with a big vertical spring I saw inside when I opened it.I wonder what that's for. I'd best leave it alone.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,895
    That’s to adjust the pressure of the presser foot ... Googling for your make of machine should tell you how to set it for the fabric you’re using  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 9,527
    Thanks Dove. I'll have to practise on a tea towel to get rid of the grease too.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,571
    My Peter Nyssen order was delivered yesterday - lots and lots of lovely plants to help transform the boggy dell area into a thing of beauty.
    Had cause to drive along a road I rarely use. Rediscovered a garden centre I had forgotten about. Full of lovely plants, but tried to restrain myself. I bought 2  large rhodies, both covered in buds, to plant in the space created when 2 of our pine trees blew down last winter, for only £21.95 each. A bargain, I thought.
    And a little gem of a plant that I'd never come across before, called Synthyris missurica stellata, or mountain kittentails for short :)

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Todmorden, West YorksPosts: 5,195
    Under the nearly-dead but treasured shrub I dug up today, I found some little seedlings growing nicely...   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore