Reasons to be cheerful 2019 - the antidote to Curmudgeons' Corner

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,179
    We have the first flower stem showing on a new Epimedium, so excited. It is still in a pot, in the blow away, we have clay soil so not planted out yet.

Snow drops really flowering now, even the ones the pigeons walked on seem to have recovered and the sarcococca smell wonderful.

All these years still can't spell what makes that wonderful smell without checking (the spelling)!

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 2,919
    You can say what you like about Jesus but he sure did know what he was doing when he invented hot cross buns.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,584
    You can say what you like about Jesus but he sure did know what he was doing when he invented hot cross buns.
    I don't think you can, such comments get deleted.
    Devon.
  • lovegardening77lovegardening77 Berkshire Posts: 314
    I went for for my first run in about a month which made me feel good then had a mooch round the garden in the rain and found a hellebore in flower, a relief because I thought they had died. Now having a glass of wine. Have a lovely weekend everyone!
  • PicidaePicidae RutlandPosts: 667
    Someone up the road was demolishing some dog kennels so, with permission and the gift of a bottle of wine, I got a stash of stock fencing which I’ll use to make tomato grwowing supports. I’ll probably also use it for the runner beans.

Another thing that pleased me is that the gardener has just finished covering every square inch of the flower and vegetable beds with a good covering of well rotted stable manure. Everywhere is glisteningly black and fertile looking.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,453
    Sorry WE but, apparently, the ancient Greeks put crosses on buns and the current (currant?) bun was first made by a monk in St Albans in the 1460s for distributing to the poor on Good Friday.    

Curry for dinner with parathas from an Asian/Vietnamese shop in La Roche.  Excellent but it looks like I still have to make my own naans.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,136
    Hot cross buns make wonderful bread and butter pudding.  So does panettone.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,360
    josusa47 said:
    Hot cross buns make wonderful bread and butter pudding.
    No chance.  They don't last that long when I spot them.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,453
    I use brioche.  The Vendée is famous for its brioche, which sometimes has chocolate chips in the mix and also its gâche which is brioche enriched with cream - just what a rich buttery brioche dough needs.   The Belgians do it with dried fruit - cramique - or candied orange or lemon zest and pearls of sugar - craquelin.   Lovely toasted or B&B'd.

If I want hot cross buns I have to make my own.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,284
    Broken fences replaced this afternoon.
    Flowering quince looks lovely.
    Witchhazel just showing orange buds.