Forum home The potting shed

Reasons to be cheerful 2019 - the antidote to Curmudgeons' Corner

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,732
    Hostafan1 said:
    There are plenty of small businesses around who don’t take cards for small payments ... they can’t afford the charges levied by the banks and card machine companies. 

Can they afford to turn away the custom of those who don't carry cash? 
    Sometimes they can’t afford not to turn it away ... the charges can outweigh any profit they might make on that transaction. 😢 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 24,810
    edited October 2019
    Hostafan1 said:
    There are plenty of small businesses around who don’t take cards for small payments ... they can’t afford the charges levied by the banks and card machine companies. 

Sometimes they can’t afford not to turn it away ... the charges can outweigh any profit they might make on that transaction. 😢 

I totally agree but if banks / POs are losing money providing cash machines , choices have to be made. I've not heard anyone saying they'd be happy to pay a fee to use them.
    I hate the whole banking system with every fibre of my being, I'm certainly not defending them, but if folk find themselves in a situation where they have no access to cash they have the choice of going further to get it, or use cards, that's the point I'm trying ( unsuccessfully )to make
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 30,530
    I knew what that link was going to be about without clicking on it @Dovefromabove. Utter insanity. Some 'suit' has come up with that idea...'how can we ease congestion?' 'Oh, I know.....please miss , I know miss...'  :/
    I'm the same @Hostafan1- rarely use cash, but it's ludicrous that they make it so difficult for those who do, and don't trust other forms of payment. Often the most vulnerable too. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Fairygirl said:
    I knew what that link was going to be about without clicking on it @Dovefromabove. Utter insanity. Some 'suit' has come up with that idea...'how can we ease congestion?' 'Oh, I know.....please miss , I know miss...'  :/
    I'm the same @Hostafan1- rarely use cash, but it's ludicrous that they make it so difficult for those who do, and don't trust other forms of payment. Often the most vulnerable too. 

Would we all be happy if we all had to pay bank charges to cover the cost of more cash machines? 
    Devon.
    edited October 2019
    Cash machines are only part of the business of banking ... if I believed that banks were making a loss on their whole business then I would understand, but I don’t think banks are going bust  ... if the business as a whole is making a healthy profit a bit of that should offset a less profitable part ... that’s how most other businesses work. 

The village where I used to live ‘L’ used to be 7 miles from the nearest bank in ‘H’  and there was one bus a week on market day.   That bank has been closed.  A once thriving little town full of viable businesses is now struggling because folk from surrounding villages no longer go there to do there banking once a week. 

The next nearest bank in ‘F’ is now threatened with closure. 

The next nearest bank is in ‘B’ ... 18 miles away.  There is no public transport from the village to ‘B’ .  

😭 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,092
    Hostafan1 said:

The answer to that is a very clear 'Yes'.  The Chinese takeaway down the road from us has been there at least 30 years and they have been cash only all that time.  They are flourishing.  All businesses are charged for the use of card machines, and I'm happy to pay cash anywhere for smaller purchases at least.
    You should also try using some of our local car parks without cash.  Although they have payment machines, they regularly have signs up saying 'Cash only, card payment not available".
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,092
    Does anybody really believe that if banks managed to get a 'card payment only' society they wouldn't then introduce charges for using cards?  When any business has a captive audience they maximise their profit one way or another.
    Think we should’ve been on t’other thread ... we’ve been quite curmudgeonly 🙄 

As I've said , I hate banks . 
    I took out an endowment policy to cover a £62,000 mortgage. I've paid the policy every month and Scottish Widows are telling me they're only giving me back £46K when it matures. 
    SW  who make £100s millions of profit yet they're not honouring their side of the deal. 
    Devon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 30,530
    The endowment thing was horrific @Hostafan1. I was lucky - mine made a little, but thousands of people ended up in your position. It was shameful. 

I think we need something cheery - to get the thread back on track  ;)
    Any takers? 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....