Forum home The potting shed

Reasons to be cheerful 2019 - the antidote to Curmudgeons' Corner

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,813
    The builders did a lovely job of fixing up my front step. :)
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,821
    We have 3 little lilac crocus flowers coming up through the tarmac right in the middle of our drive and our postman is doing his best not to step on them. Happens every year and we're always surprised.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,520
    The builders did a lovely job of fixing up my front step. :)
    Good stuff  :)
    Lizzie - the nicest bit of that story is the postman avoiding them   :)
    The beautiful weather here yesterday meant I spent all day outside, painting, varnishing, potting, tidying up,  and watching [and listening to]  the birds. Doesn't get much better than that.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,472
    The spuggies (sparrows) were really going for it in song yesterday. There was one singing so loudly for such a small bird. Lovely! 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 24,224
    First iris!!   There I was, chuffed to bits because the iris reticulata have come back this year and now, before they're over, the first big one is out and lots of buds to come.  Yum yum!

Nectarine blossom too.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • B3B3 Posts: 16,514
    The young street tree that we looked after in the drought last year has blossomed for the first time 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,821
    edited February 2019
    That was a good freebie @islander. I like the comment about the donkey and pony! My reason to be cheerful is that the first flower on our magnolia stellata is out today.@B3 you must have been pleased - I remember you were quite worried about it last year.
  • B3B3 Posts: 16,514
    I am😀
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,850
    Reference the donkeys.  I've just seen a video of 3 donkeys in a field.  2 were trying to get through between horizontal bars, and failing.  The third came along, got hold of the middle bar in its mouth and lifted it out of the way.  All 3 then went out through the gap!
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 3,332
    I had a stroke of luck yesterday on my trip to town - gardening gloves in size extra-small, £1 a pair.  Normally it's mail order megabucks for anything that's not huge on me.  I bought four pairs :).