Forum home Plants

Trellis and fence paint

ValleysgirlValleysgirl Wales Posts: 223
we have always used Cuprinol to paint all our wooden structures- Arches ,trellis fences and our potting shed ( solar house ) but to be honest it doesn't really to a fantastic job things are today I noticed  quite greeny so going to start on my painting ! In between proper gardening jobs. Any of you fellow gardeners use a good brand you can recommend please?

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,259
    I don't really bother with painting trellis and fences - too much faff and I really don't think it makes much difference in the long run. I did paint my new arbour and bench to match in Lavender (probably by Cuprinol) a couple of years ago but regret it now as it needs doing again.  I personally wouldn't paint outdoor wood this time of year as it will be very wet (which is why yours has gone greeny) and needs to dry out thoroughly first. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,245
    I use Ronseal fence life range in Tudor Black .  I find it better than many others, although it certainly doesn't manage the five years they suggest,  but it copes reasonably well with the harsh weather we get, and I just give the uppermost surfaces a quick lick every spring with a small roller. If you can remove the panels, that'll make it easier to do them.
    I intend giving the coping edges of my raised beds a top coat of yacht varnish as well this year, as that has worked very well on another project I did last year. That might be worth considering too, even if it's just on the most exposed parts.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,605
    paint/treatment looks great the moment you've finished it, but thereafter it goes downhill. The only question is how long?
    I prefer the patination of age.
    Devon.
    Are you talking about the timber or yourself, Hosta?    :D

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,605
    [email protected] you @Fairygirl, I'm growing old disgracefully 
    Devon.
    Hostafan1 said:
    [email protected] you @Fairygirl, I'm growing old disgracefully 
    the only way to do it  ;)

• Rose121Rose121 Posts: 132
    We shelled out for sikkens novatech for our shed and small trellis fence. Very expensive, but still looking great - though we're only a year and a half in. Not sure I'd spend it on fence panels though...
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    Had good results using emulsion paint or masonry paint, water down the first coat so it soaks in. I did put a coat of decking oil on top. 
    Also have used Johnson from B & M on a shed. It did need 3 coats. Both still looked good when we moved 3 years later
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,037
    I use Butinox for outside fences. Expensive but still looking good after 8 years. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • ValleysgirlValleysgirl Wales Posts: 223
    Thanks gardeners for a few varieties to check out, some  I can honestly say not heard of always stuck to Cuprinol, time for a change ! Only waiting too have a few dry days none of the white stuff and I will get cracking. It's 10c here in South Wales and for a few days so can start painting , off to the big D.i.y place too checkout what's on offer there . Oh and it's 10% off today on Gardening Products Whoppee !