Geum didn't flower?!

linzijayne74linzijayne74 Droitwich, WorcestershirePosts: 95
Hi there.  Last year I bought a Geum from a chap a few streets away who grows his own flowers to sell (not sure which variety; it wasn't in flower when I bought it and there was no description of its variety).  I potted it up when I got home in a slightly larger pot....but it didn't flower, sadly!  So far this year there seems to be fresh leaves growing but I'd be really grateful if anyone has any tips to ensure I get some flowers on it this year please!  Not quite sure what I did wrong last year.  Many thanks in advance.  :)

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,720
    maybe it was too young last year, or maybe it had already flowered
  • linzijayne74linzijayne74 Droitwich, WorcestershirePosts: 95
    Thanks @nutcutlet; it may be that it was too young.  And I hadn't considered it had already flowered (and I simply can't remember what time of year last year I got it).  I haven't grown Geums before so they're unchartered territory for me!  Thanks for your comment.  :)
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 344
    Many moons ago I grew some from seed but they never flowered so if yours doesn't this year I would get rid or buy one in flower!
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 1,667
    I suggest you take your complaint to the chap a few streets away who grows his own flowers to sell from whom you bought a nondescript, non flowering geum.  ;)
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,246
    They're generally fairly trouble free, but I'd agree with nut that it was one of her two suggestions. If it's a tiny plant - ie in a 3 inch pot or similar [or smaller!]  - it would have been unlikely to flower.
    If you got it after summer, it would already have finished flowering especially if it was still quite a small plant. 
    Either way - give it this year, and then make a judgement. If it's got new growth already, it should be ok. A plant filling a 6 inch plant [at least]  should have flowers over the summer.  :)
    Sorry if  this seems obvious, but are you also certain it's a geum?
    Oh the devil in me said, go down to the shed
    I know where I belong

Thanks @K67; I'm sorry to hear that you had problems with your non-flowering Geum.  Perhaps it's worth buying one in flower this year?  I shall indeed give mine this year to show me what it's made of!  Thanks again.  :)

Thanks @Papi Jo; I'll wait and see what happens (if anything) this year then I may pop back and see the man I got it from.  :)
    Hi @Fairygirl; I honestly (and stupidly) can't remember what time of year I bought it last year!  So you're right, I shall give it this year and see what happens.  The pot it's currently in has foliage filling a 30cm pot and there seems to be new leaves appearing, so I'm hoping that's an encouraging sign?!  Foliage looks to be like Geum, from what I've seen in the garden centres and online.  Thanks for your reply.  :)
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 12,087
    I sowed them from seeds that guernsey donkey gave me, they flowered 1st  year.  Beautiful big red ones, Mrs Bradshaw.
    If it’s filled the pot it probably needs putting out in the garden.  I find most perennials do better in the ground to reach their full potential. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,246
    Ah - it's a good size then. I'd agree with Lyn - it's better off in the ground, but wait till the weather warms up and the soil is suitable. :)
    Harden it off first for a while too if it's been inside as the grwoth will be soft.
    Oh the devil in me said, go down to the shed
    I know where I belong