South Facing Garden rear fence

I've recently moved to house with small garden which is south facing.  Great that the house and patio gets lots of sun..... but most of the visual garden from the house is in the shade and tends to be damp.  What sort of fencing would give me privacy from the school field beyond and let light through to the plant level in the garden.  I wondered if there is a type of fencing that has a 'trellis' type level low down to let light in, instead of the usual place of on top.   H E L P

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,319
    You can get ordinary trellis fence panels 6' x 6' with the slats very close together and the diagonal ones look more pleasing I think. They would give you some measure of privacy and let the light through.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,528
    Have you already got a lot of planting there Linda?
    It's easier to simply plant suitable shrubs/climbers/perennials for the shady part, which will then give privacy.  :)
    Depending on the length of the plot, you could also consider a simple pergola/screen further down the garden [ie nearer the house] which you can put climbers on. That will screen the higher buildings etc in the distance. It's a simple design trick which works very well, and would be cheaper, and easier to maintain, than putting in lots of new fencing.
    You can add planting in front of that too if you wanted more to look at, epsecially from rear windows through winter. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....