Ideas to cover a fence

2»

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Todmorden, West YorksPosts: 5,195
    The colour of the fence is lovely - with moss and lichen to match the surroundings... I'd leave it uncovered too.  A few shrubs for wildlife sounds excellent.   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Thanks for the suggestions, the shrubs sound like a good idea to break it up. I neglected to say there is a foot path literally on the other side of it hence wanting to cover it a bit to get a bit of privacy and this bit is down the bottom of the garden.

Thanks again for the ideas, I will do some research into some of the shrubs mentioned
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,895
    I wouldnt cover it up either and am very jealous!!
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,253
    edited 11 February
    Another vote not to cover the fence!
    Maybe as well as the shrubs that others have mentioned, you could try woodland-edge plants like bluebells, foxgloves, cow parsley etc to soften the view without completely blocking it.
    Shrubs etc would give the walkers using the path something to look at other than you sunbathing (or whatever :D).
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,013
    Interesting, not what I had imagined. I think as others have suggested, a few shrubs loosely dotted along that area in a staggered formation, and not too close to the barrier/fence, that will create a softer feel, and helps to blend your area into that borrowed woodland. Many of the shrubs suggested previously will look great in that setting. 

For some reason, I picture Danae Racemosa there. It is more lower growing and has an informal shape. Would look good planted against taller shrubs. Quite spiky but stays evergreen with bright red berries into the winter time.
  • Thank you for all you suggestions, I will do a bit of googling, It will most probably be left, However I just wanted to get your opinions, which I am very grateful for.