Winter squash

Hi everyone, I’m planning my new beds next year and have an area of 1m x 1.25m left. I’d like to grow winter squash and courgette. I thought I might try squash up a sturdy tripod and let the courgette scramble on the ground- does this sound feasible in the space? If I had to choose I would go with squash- if I ditch the courgette how many squash can you grow up a frame in that sort of area (let’s say a small/medium squash like Uchiki Kuri)- or maybe one up one down? Thanks!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,461
    I had a small squash germinate out of the compost around my sweet peas. It grew up and along the tent shaped structure. From a late start we had four small  ripened squashes.  I think from an earlier start indoors and planted out when the frosts had finished we would have had more.  The large ones like Crown Prince I think are too heavy for growing up a frame and take up too much space. Courgettes or squash need a metre squared to grow in really per plant.  So as you say, one courgette (bush type) and a climbing small squash in that space.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 750
    Thanks fidget! I’m tempted to do 2 squash and ditch the courgette as you can but courgette so easily but not squash.. apart from butternut. Have you grown the Kuri squash before? So many to choose from but the Kuri look a good size for our needs, never tasted it though.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,847
    Try the F1 variety called 'Hawk'.  I grew this in a 50cm pot once and it cropped well with small fruits (about the size a large aubergine) but plenty of them.  I believe 'Butterbush' is also suited to containers so should also cope well in limited growing space.  Both good for UK conditions. 
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,795
    I grow Utchikuri every year and love it - small, good taste and good colour too.  I grow it up supports to get extra ripening sun and keep the slugs off.

I'd wind them up our back fence which was builders' mesh for reinforcing concrete so pretty strong.  Good for butternuts, Crown Prince and other bigger squash.  If you're using tripods or obelisks, one squash per support and plenty of feeding and watering.

If space is tight, don't bother with courgettes.  I only grow them cos I have space and can't find the yellow ones in the shops here.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,461
    I cant remember what the squash was. It was orange and ridged and about 4 inch round.They produced so many that we got fed up of them (I had four plants in)and I threw the remainer on the compost heap after March. This one germinated from the compost in last years hot summer.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
    Brilliant thank you! One last question! Obelisk how many plants do you put across about 1.25m if they are growing vertically- I could erect a fence style support without too much hassle if it means I can grown more! 😬
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,795
    2.  They do need a lot of food and water so prepare the soil well with loads of manure or compost and pelleted manure and make sure they get plenty of water once fruiting starts.   

I grew mine in a long, 1.2m wide bed and spaced them 60 to 80cms apart.   I did grow strawberries along the front edge.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Thanks! Can’t wait to get going this year... still need to finish building the beds .. snow stopped play!