Long flowering plant's

granmagranma Posts: 1,726
I'm interested in your experience , Do you have particular plants which flower endlessly throughout summer ?
I'm trying to grow flowers in a particular area which I don't have to keep replacing .I have Sandy soil so sometimes have to add a mulch to keep plants stabilised.it is a large border which at the moment only have couple of azaleas .

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 2,000
    Sounds as though you have acid soil if you have azaleas. Have you tried digging in lots of manure/leafmould to improve the moisture retentiveness?  You need to get plants that cope with your conditions so some online research into plants that like sandy/acid soil might help.  I don't have those conditions so can't help with choices I'm afraid.
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 637
    I only recently bought Geranium Rozanne ( mid year last year), never got around to putting it in the garden border, even in its pot in partial shade it flowered non stop up to November.
    I can understand why it is so popular. I think there are a few more modern hybrids like her.
    I also got a pretty pale pinky one called Lilac ice, this does not seem as vigorous.
    I believe these are supposed to do alright in most soils?

Another one (geranium) with a grey sort of soft leaf and pale pink flowers I think is called Mavis Simpson again a repeat long flowering season. It has stayed "green" but gone a bit floppy in the cold, and snow, but is hardy here. We are in the South, I do not know if it is hardy everywhere.

None of the above are tall they seem to sprawl along and keep flowering off the ends. But you can trim them back mid season so they are neater and they will keep flowering.
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 4,969
    I have found ox-eye daisies, some heathers, camellias, primulas, and some clematis all flower for a long period.
  • PosyPosy Posts: 1,313
    Hardy annuals flower their socks off because they only have one year. Perennials can afford to keep it short because they will be back next year. A mix can give the best of both worlds but I do love achillea for long flowering and daisies and agapanthus.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,001
    Some penstemon flower all summer and autumn.
    P. 'Garnet' and Raven being two I can vouch for here, and to a slightly lesser extent Hidcote Pink.
    Last year Garnet started flowering on 30 May, paused in July then went on again until Nov.
    Raven flowered right through from 24 June to well into Nov and the last flowers only dropped a couple of weeks ago.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,847
    Salvias flower for a long time in my garden.
    Dordogne
  • Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 119
    edited 1 February
    Roses... Especially tough ones like Rosa Rugosa which would be happy in your sandy soil.

Argyranthemum - the two I put in last year flowered non stop (until the start of this week!)

Dahlias - when I cut them down to store in November they were still in full flower

• islanderislander A small island off the west coast of Ireland. Posts: 111
    calendla. I have had  them in flower all winter and one unfolding now. they are a perennial, used to be harvested for their oil . also I have had primulas in flower for months, 

• MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 1,113
    Erigeron karvinskianus….   Parahebe 'Avalanche'...  Geranium 'Jean Armour' [an alternative to 'Mavis Simpson'].. and rose 'Kew Gardens'... Petrorhagia 'Pink Starlets' [if you can find it]… 
    ..just a few of my favourites that thrive here in East Anglia, in full sun with sharp drainage... 
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,726
    Thank you all for your suggestions  , ,I know I could have googled this but it isn't the same. I prefer to ask you all for your experiences .it's like nipping to a friends and having the conversation.