Forum home The potting shed

HELLO FORKERS - FEBRUARY 2019

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,977
    I’m of the Rgirl era - half a term each of cooking, sewing, woodwork, metalwork etc.  The only bits I remember is how to make a sausage plait, and how to thread a sewing machine.  The latter proved useful when the girls needed dressing up clothes 😀. (Plus have always made my own curtains 🤪)

Nick Bailey was great ....poor chap was late having got caught up in train problems from Waterloo....but he got stuck straight in, and we all learned lots 🤗
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 74,979
    I was upper stream in an all girls grammar and therefore NOT ALLOWED to do Domestic Science ... I had to do Latin instead. We were however allowed to do dressmaking ... never saw the logic in that ...
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,219
    Me too, Dove.  Can't understand why we couldn't be practical AND good at languages...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,565
    We had either a term or a year (can't remember which, it felt like a year at the time) each of needlework and cookery. Actually I think it was a term each of needlework, cookery and pottery. A girl's high school, there was no woodwork, metalwork, technical drawing, design & technology and the like at all.

Evening all. Glad Nick Bailey got there in the end, chicky. The trains have been appalling for the past couple of weeks. I would have snuck in but I was busy in the end - guess where I went today?

Fabulous place, and perfect weather for it.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 17,522
    Lyn said:
    It was called Domestic science when I was at school.  The first thing we had to do was learn how to wash and iron a tea towel, then progressed to a man’s shirt, making sure it was folded like it had just come out of the bag, minus the pins, yeah right, who does that? 

I do! But then I like ironing and you don't ;)

Been absent again, Internet is getting worse and today the phone went too. France Telecom are still promising to come and repair it.

Off to babysit for daughter tomorrow. Just one night but they are over 2 hours away.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,511
    I got the lowest score ever for needlework (19%)

I failed French O level. I can't read Music.

I did get Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Maths, English language, English Lit, and Art.

Its a good job I didn't earn my living from sewing or languages.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,511
    Lovely pic LG. Where is it?
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Pat EPat E Posts: 10,656
    Fidget, it’s easy to guess where your career choices went. I for one am very glad to get hints from you every now and then.😁

My second daughter always amazed me in a similar way. At age 3 she could sit down and do jigsaws deigned for 12 year olds while her older sister couldn’t do them. She was slow to read and not good at other academic things, but she can envision projects in her mind and she successfully constructs all sorts of things in her garden. I suspect she should have been pointed into engineering or design type subjects, but they would have been in the boys classes. 

S. E. NSW
  • Pat EPat E Posts: 10,656
    LG, those white trunks are very lovely. I assume they are Birches.
    ype your comment
    S. E. NSW
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 30,498
    Morning all.
    Coal face duties then dentist after.
    Devon.
This discussion has been closed.