Forum home The potting shed

Buried my cat today, except I didn’t!

• PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,052
    edited February 2019
    @Valley Gardener how can anyone not love a little cat? So glad it wasn't Tally, @Nollie x
    SW Scotland
  • We've moved 7 times in the last few years,and our priority,whether buying or renting has always been " It must be well off a main road for the safety of our cats" 
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,122
    Tally, pregnant at the time and doubtless originating from the crew that hang around our neighbours farm, adopted the previous owner, so this was her home before it was ours. The PO (not Spanish) kept one kitten and had them both neutered, each had one ear nicked to indicate this. The disticntive ear nick should have sufficed but the head of unknown puss was, er, not all there, so that didn’t help  :/  
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,715
    @Valley Gardener how can anyone not love a little cat?
    Honest answer is "Very easily".  In many countries cats are viewed as a working animal, used to keep vermin down, and they live outside.  They will be cared for because they are useful, but not treated like a member of the family.
    I'm not saying one way is better or worse than the other, simply that there are two different views on them.
  • It would be better to have them neutered though.Better if people who were only going to use them to keep vermin down,had to buy a cat or two. Some places in the UK now you can't just pick up a kitten,you have to buy one,even if it's a rescue.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,669
    We have had to pay for our rescue dogs and the latest two kittens as well as having them chipped, neutered and vaccinated.  It's standard practice.  We also have to sign a contract stating they will be family and house pets and not left outside.

One of the criteria for this house was a large garden for pets to run and play and a quiet country lane.   We thought we had that with our Belgian house but it turned out to be a rat run between the village and local town.   Not the case here.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,052
    @KT53, I suppose you are right, it's just that I am a sucker for them all, but I admire what people like VG do to help.

On the subject of payment, my two boys came from a private home when their Mum got "caught" before she was spayed. The lady wanted £50 for each kitten and I was happy to pay it. Her reasoning was that it would prevent people who didn't really care for them turning up and she hoped they would have a nice home. Well, they certainly have that with me 😺.
    SW Scotland
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,122
    Its true there is a different attitude here in Spain, but the working cats around here seem in relatively good nick - at least they are free to hunt and do so effectively, our two are ace hunters, as the camera traps show. We have to restrict their cat biccies now, as they are getting far too fat and lazy!

Thanks for all your good wishes for Tally, btw  :)
  • Rebecca110Rebecca110 Posts: 1,485

• Rebecca110Rebecca110 Posts: 1,485
    The above cat is my Alfie.  He is 8 years and still loves to play.