Forum home The potting shed

Winter Watch

Anyone who watched the start of the new Winter Watch tonight BBC2 8 p.m. what did you think of it?  I usually watch this programme with interest, but found tonight's programme was excellent - great photography, lots of useful information, silly in parts, fun too.  I have many happy memories of visits there in my childhood.

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,815
    I enjoyed it too, GD.  I learn something new every time... and as you say, the photography is fab, and it's great entertainment.   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,374
    I thought it was fantastic.
    Have done a lot of walking / climbing around there, and also love to watch the wildlife.
    Too many hands in too many pockets
    Not enough hands on hearts
    Too many ready to call it a day
    Before the day starts
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,086
    thumbs up from me too.
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,013
    👍 loved it 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Rose121Rose121 Posts: 132
    Agreed - awesome. Will be running in to the others.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,112
    I used to enjoy all the Watch' programmes but no longer do 'watch' because I'm sick of being preached at by Chris Packham.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,365
    I gave up on the Watches long ago when it was Bill Oddie.  Can't stand him.  Tried again later but there were still very irritating people so gave up.

Watched it last night and enjoyed it tho I still think it doesn't need the silly bits.   Plenty of material to maintain interest without the sillies.  Nice to see CP lightening up a bit too.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,365
    I gave up on the Watches long ago when it was Bill Oddie.  Can't stand him.  Tried again later but there were still very irritating people so gave up.

Watched it last night and enjoyed it tho I still think it doesn't need the silly bits.   Plenty of material to maintain interest without the sillies.  Nice to see CP lightening up a bit too.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • I will be watching the programme tonight too.  I agree that Chris has lightened up - mostly due to Michaela who is always poking fun of him in the nicest possible way.  I like the timing of the programme, although for children's viewing (when our children were young 25 - 30 yrs. ago) we would have found it too late.  The programme appeals to all ages doesn't it?
    I am going to try growing some pine trees from seed this year - we used to have 12 mature trees but are down to 4 now, the seeds are eaten by the birds before they fall to the ground. In 39 years we have only had a dozen seedlings that have rooted in our driveway.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 4,662
    Satellite TV gave up on me last night as I was tryng to watch it, will try again tonight. I like the interplay between Chris and Michaela, they have grown into their presenting roles well, but yes, less silly bits and stage props please. Gillian seems a bit stilted, I find her weird diction a bit distracting but I am sure in time she will gain confidence and her delivery will improve.