Raspberries in pots

FlinsterFlinster Posts: 613
Afternoon!
i wondered if anyone grows raspberries in containers? I have very chalky soil and not enough room for planting in the ground anyway, but I do have 4 large tubs about 60cm diameter and 35cm deep. I’m looking at autumn flowering for now, but not sure how many to plant in one container? I know they may need replacing after a few years but I’m fine with that. Thanks

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 2,576
    There are some new varieties (sorry, name escapes me) now that are specially bred for pots so that may be the way to go. Otherwise I believe raspberries don't grow well in pots. Check on T & M. 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 1,279
    The recommended spacing for raspberries is 45cm so for something like an Autumn Bliss, a single plant per pot. I have a one-year old AB in the ground and its trying to spread beyond the 60cm space already and it needs some support. I have just planted up a new soft fruit bed with Joan J raspberry canes, which are meant to be less sprawly, thornless and self-supporting, so have a look at that one. There are some new dwarf/patio types now, Ruby Beauty is one, but I dont know how they crop compared to the traditional varieties...
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 1,729
    Autumn Bliss has been the staple late variety for a century but at last there are some replacements being bred that are better. Joan J is one I can recommend, there are others but I do not have personal experience of growing them yet. 
    AB Still learning

• FlinsterFlinster Posts: 613
    Thanks. I’ve just seen the RHS recommending 1 cane to a 38cm pot, so I might try two canes in a 60cm. What kind of yield would I expect from 2 canes? I’m just trying to gauge how many I need- I’m the only one who eats them really and although I’m happy to freeze some for baking etc I don’t want to be overrun! Would 4 canes be adequate? I was looking at Joan J as that was my Mums name! 😀
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 2,576
    Not a lot from only two canes in my experience, barely enough for a mouthful but that could be because my raspberries don't get a lot of sunshine and are in clayey soil. They prefer acid sandy soil I think, but others might know better. I'm trying Polka this year to see if it crops better.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 1,279
    I think it has to be Joan J for you then, Flinster in tribute to your mum :) Canes usually come in bundles of 5 or 6 - mine were in 5’s from Blackmoor nurseries, so you could try two in two pots and one in one. I planted mine in a raised bed 40cm high in a mix of grit, leafmould and acid compost. Can’t tell you about yield yet as they are new but probably less in pots than in the ground. 
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,612
    They aren't autumn fruiting but Ruby Beauty is a small raspberry, bred for pots. 

I have 3 (albeit in the ground) at my allotment. Last year was their first proper year and they had lots of fruit. Not as sweet as Joan J, but I ate them all. I seem to recall the raspberries were fairly small too.

They are quite expensive, or at least they were the other year when I first looked them up. I got mine for £4 each from B&Q off the dead plant trolley, but if I'd known what they were I'd have bought them all.
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 613
    Thanks everyone! Think I will go for 5 canes of Joan J and see how I get on.. if I can get myself organised fast enough.. so much to do and the snow is not helping lol!