Forum home The potting shed

plants to use on small spot front of house.

Hi!

Completely new to anything to do with gardening. 

Im in a new build and not even got grass down in the back garden yet. 

But right now I’m wanting to change the grass in the small patch at the front of the house. 

I will attach a picture of this. I’m thinking of removing the grass and potentially the plants to the side and adding in some mixed shrubs. I’d like a nice mix maybe some different colours and textures.  I have no clue which plants can be planted together, how far apart to plant and which will last all year? 

Am I better having a gardener do this for me? 

Any my advice is very much appreciated. 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,862
    edited January 2019
    Hello @Catrinapaton, welcome to the forum  :)
    No problem with giving it a go yourself,  it may give you the gardening bug! First thing, do you know which way the garden faces, North, South etc. Is it sunny, does it get sun for only part of the day ?
    It may well be that when you lift the grass you find there is only a thin layer of soil, so you may have to top it up with topsoil when you dig it out.
  • Thanks so much for your response.

It’s a south facing garden and it gets sun most of the day. But I live in Glasgow so there isn’t that much sunshine! 

I currently have two potted palm style plants in those black pots either side of the bay window as the others died but these have lasted really well all winter. I like the style of them too. Im thinking anything bushy so that they have some sort of height to them. 

Colour wise I like dark purples browns greens but anything really.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,188
    Lots of things will grow happily there, but just be aware of too much height. Don't want to have your lights on all day if shrubs get too big  ;)
    Many shrubs can be successfully pruned, but it also depends how much time you have to spend, and often they can look odd if pruned into 'puddings'. Euphorbias will be fine, and need minimal care [just watch out for the sap if/when you prune or remove spent heads] and so will Hebes - loads of varieties to choose from. Some of the evergreen grasses would also be fine - Carexes like Evergold will give a contrast. All of those will be perfectly hardy and will thrive where you are. 
    You can infill with perennials and bulbs to give variation in shape and height, and also things like thyme or or dianthus for edges.  It's a very small area, so don't overfill or you'll end up taking things back out in a few years.
    Small spaces work best if you pick just a few types of plant, and use three or five of them together. That gives unity.  :)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks so much! This gives me a lot to work with. I’m going to have a look up of the plant types, do a rough plan and give it a go. 

Thanks again! 
    I should have said - make sure you don't block access to the drain too  ;)

• Yeah I was thinking I could try putting a couple of potted plants over them that can be easily set aside if need be. But maybe I won’t even need to. 
    You could always put a container with seasonal planting on it if you feel it's a bit gappy. Bulbs for spring, annuals for summer etc.  :)

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,862
    (Hi @Fairygirl , how's retirement going ?!). Hebes were my first thought, well second really, l had thought of lavender, but l don't know how happy they would be. Good idea for pots for the drain covers, old school of thought was to plant a trailing conifer over them to hide them. Lots of cursing when it came to trying to access the drains! @Catrinapaton , looks like you're getting the gardening bug !  :)
    I always think lavender looks dreadful here. Our climate in the west doesn't suit it at all, but many people still grow it. Looks pretty dire after a few years, if it lasts that long. Strangely, the French stuff looks, and often copes with the weather, better. I have neighbours who have it in a north west facing site where it gets virtually no sun, in wet cold soil, and it looks fine!

Retirement is going well thanks- early days though  ;)