Planting a row of bux hedges close to row of privet hedge?

Hi All

Trying to see if this is OK.  We have row of old privet hedge, but it has some holes lower part of the hedge, which is unsightly.  To hide the holes, I am thinking of planing a row of bux plants in front of the privet hedge. Bux are dense and also short height, which will cover the holes of the privet hedge.

Just wondering if it would be good idea, or if there are any issues later on from this planting.

Thanks

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,157
    Box is currently prone to some nasty diseases and fungi so you need to be very careful about sourcing your plants, soil and tool hygiene, ventilation as well as good ground preparation.   I would think planting it to fill gaps in an existing hedge is a recipe for failure.

A better plan would be to clear away any weeds form teh base of the privet, cut back a few branches near the gap to encourage new buds and shoots to grow and then feed the entire hedge with generous dollops of pelleted chicken manure or blood, fish and bone and then a mulch.   That will improve the vigour of your privet.  You could even fill a gap with another privet plant.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,938
    I agree with Obelixx,  clearing away any weeds etc. and feeding is the best way to go. Also filling any large gaps with new privet plants rather than box, apart from anything else l think it would look too "bitty", if you know what l mean  :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,966
    I'd agree too. The other problem which occurrs with any type of hedge, is that they're often clipped with the top too wide for the base, which prevents light getting to the lower parts, and therefore they're too shady to have good growth. Make sure it's clipped so that there's a batter - which just means a slope from bottom to top, with the top being narrower.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ThelemanTheleman Posts: 50
    Great advice. I will just clip them, also mulch and give some organic fertiliser to encourage regrowth.

Planting some other Privet plant in the gaps sounds good idea too. cheers.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,493
    Another thing to try is to let some shoots from fairly low down grow long then nip out the tips and tie them in fairly close to horizontal across the gaps.  If they get enough light they should shoot out along the length.
    The side of the privet hedge to our garden is totally shaded due to the Sun is rising from the left and going to the opposite side neightbors garden, and then it goes down on the right of the hedge. So our side of the hedge never really sees the Sun.

So maybe this is part of the problem?
    I think the privet would be OK as long as it's cut narrower at the top with sloping sides, so the lower parts get light (if not direct sun) from above. It's a very tolerant plant (which is why it's so common).
    Yes, I will try to cut the top thin this spring. Or maybe it can be cut even during the cold winter. :)
    Late winter/early spring before birds start nesting would be a good time.
    I don't think you said how big your hedge has got, but here are a few links that might be useful:
    Renovation pruning generally https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=398

Our privet hedge was about 2 meters tall. I had to stand on working platform or ladder to be able to cut the top.  Width was really wide, and I could not reach the other end from my side to cut properly. Length is about 30 meters long

I did cut it down to about 1.7m tall, thinned the width to just where I could reach the end with my long reach hedge trimmer.

Our side is bare branches with no leaves due to this cut, but I need to cut it even more trying to flatten and smoothen all around.