Forum home Problem solving

Veg garden paths

FlinsterFlinster Posts: 883
edited January 2019 in Problem solving
Evening all!
I’m in the process of installing a new veg raised bed area and I’m undecided on path material. It’s in full view and close to the house so wanted it to look good, but I can’t put in anything permanent as this area will be moved again in 2 or 3 years once other areas are sorted. I’m currently thinking of weed membrane and bark - does bark harbour slugs/snails? I’ve never used it. Just wondered what others might have?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,867
    I have ornamental back on borders over a membrane in my front garden.
    The blackbirds distribute it all over the place. I have seen worms and snails/slugs hiding under the bark which I guess is why the blackbirds enjoy foraging through it.
    It has been there for many, many years and just gets topped up every few years
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 883
    Mmmm I guess at least the birds are looking for them lol! I put a pond in a year ago and had a fair few froglets in the garden during summer- I’m hoping some have survived and will help fight the good fight! I did consider gravel, haven’t ruled it out yet...
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    I would say bark is your best bet as it's temporary you could use a membrane or if you can get it a couple of layers of cardboard will do the job, slugs etc I would not worry as Pete mentioned the birds like to forage in it so any will be eaten.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
    Thanks Hampshire hog thanks Hampshire hog. I did think about cardboard, wasn’t sure if it would make a bit of a mess once it starts breaking down? On an allotment I wouldn’t think twice but as it’s on full show in the garden I’m a bit unsure?
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    @Flinster I've used cardboard both on its own and under bark paths it will break down eventually as the worms and microorganisms work on it, but it's green and a good way of recycling just remember to remove any staples and adhesive tape  :) 

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,867
    I think I'd go the membrane/bark route.
    Mine is full of bugs as it's been there for 20+ years and topped up every 3-4 years.
    If it's only temporary it's unlikely it'll get colonized with nasty beasties.
    The blackbirds will still investigate though...
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    Thanks guys. I might do both as I have some spare membrane from another project but if there isn’t enough then I will top up with cardboard! 😀