Bird feeder or bath, view from kitchen window

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 8,563
    Do you ever get squirrels?
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,705
    Lizzie27 said:
    Do you ever get squirrels?
    Yes.  They dig up my plants and bulbs.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,697
    Then they'll love the feeders ! You can get squirrel proof ones apparently, don't know how successful they are. I find them quite entertaining as they only turn up now and again, but it could get pretty annoying l would imagine. With regard to the robins and blackbirds, they prefer to eat at ground level.

AnniD said:
    Then they'll love the feeders ! You can get squirrel proof ones apparently, don't know how successful they are. I find them quite entertaining as they only turn up now and again, but it could get pretty annoying l would imagine. With regard to the robins and blackbirds, they prefer to eat at ground level.

Ah maybe a squirrel feeder is in order then!
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,286
    We bought the wilko one. I only use the two top feeder hooks, not the twist on one.
    Also the water dish I don't have on.
    The mesh dish I do and use for meal worms or pellets.

I found the things overlap too much so a lot gets pooped on.  Using the two top hooks with the dish in between is cleaner.
    Also I use two chapelwood brand ( there are others) sunflower heart feeders they are stainless steel mesh and metal tops. And you can get saucers that screw onto the bottom with a bolt to stop a lot falling on the ground.
    But the pigeons do try to sit on them.

Buying a reasonable quality feeder or two pays dividends long run.
    The squirrels have not got much out of them or worried them too much.....yet.
    They do go to the similar peanut feeder hanging elsewhere and get a bit out, I am not completely mean.

It is a good little feeding station for the price. Though I am not sure how long the pole will last.
    Also the one we got was a bit wobbly to slot together, but a piece of the vinyl packing tape wrapped around  makes it fit tightly together.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,219
    The most successful "bird bath" I ever had was a handle-less bucket, left out behind the house one autumn until I got round to taking it to the tip.  The wind blew it about so I put a couple of bricks in it to weigh it down... then it filled up with rainwater, and the local sparrows queued up to bathe in it.  It was lovely watching the fledgelings in spring, lined up on the rim waiting their turn.   :)  Perhaps not the most decorative container, but the birds approved.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,697
    My MIL used to have an old dustbin lid,on top of a couple of bricks. She put some big pebbles in it and used it as a bird bath. The sparrows used to love it ! These days she has a very nice shallow Cotswold stone one which is well used, but l bet the sparrows miss the old bin lid. I do !  :)
    AnniD said:
    My MIL used to have an old dustbin lid,on top of a couple of bricks. She put some big pebbles in it and used it as a bird bath. The sparrows used to love it ! These days she has a very nice shallow Cotswold stone one which is well used, but l bet the sparrows miss the old bin lid. I do !  :)
    I tried that last winter actually, we did get some visitors but it was too far from the window to really notice if it was being used, and would be too low if I did the same but closer.

its not a bad idea though :)
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,985
    edited January 2019
    I did the dustbin lid trick - with white Carrara marble pebbles picked off the beach - and the decorative bird bath too.  Both ignored by the birds, tho the dogs did drink out of them when I refreshed them.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,092
    I've used two large stone plant pot saucers, the birds love them.  Also have a pedestal bath too but it's mostly used by woodpideon and the odd sparrow. The ground ones are good for hedgehogs too.