Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bird feeders

hello, was just wondering how you all manage to protect your bird feeders in this awful weather ??? At the moment in Swansea (South Wales) it's blowing a gale and lashing with rain. It's going to be like this for the rest of today and maybe tonight as well. 

thanks
shazza  

• Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 1,356
    Hi @shazza 3 I don't do anything to protect mine as they seem to survive the worst of weathers. They are hanging from the trees on the allotment and our weather today is the same as yours and yet when I visit tomorrow they will be intact. I think as long as they are secure they should be ok. Sounds as though you are having problems so someone will be able to give you advice on how to protect them.
  • shazza 3shazza 3 Posts: 101
    thank you. sorry i think i posed the question wrong. what i meant was how do you protect the food when the weather is bad like today ?? 
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 1,356
    The feeders I have don't really expose the seed to the elements and often the birds are feeding on them in the worst weather. Hopefully someone may have the same problem as you and let you know what they do.
    ok, thanks anyway
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 31,360
    Hi shazza. My feeders sound similar to Fran IOM's and two hang from trees in my back garden and 4 hang from a feeding station in the front garden. I don't have a problem with the seed mix in the feeders and I live in quite a windy, rainy area too. I was just wondering if a squirrel baffle may help to protect your feeder and give a little bit of shelter.
    Squirrel Proof Baffle Protection for Wild Bird Feeders

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
    That's a good idea, an umbrella for birdies !!! I never thought of that, i'll have online to see what's available. Do they fit standard feeders or do you have to buy a specific type of feeder ?  
    I think they fit any feeder shazza. You just suspend the feeder underneath the 'hood'.
    fab, thanks :) again 
    You are most welcome shazza