Forum home Garden design

Brand new garden - new some help please!

13»

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,099
    Speaking of small front gardens of the 1970s, our next door neighbours have a clump of pampas grass in theirs......
    Apologies, ;) off topic
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,569
    They're not out-dated over here in UK - recommended by top garden designers frequently. Anyway, plants should not be rated as to whether or not they are "in fashion" or not but whether they are suitable for the situation and are liked by the garden owner.  However, I agree with you that they are not suitable for small front gardens or even council verges - I have a 40ft plus one just 2.5 metres from my bedroom window!
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,892
    Also depends how much time you want to spend picking up leaves.😁 Go evergreens.😉
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,089
    Papi Jo said:
    I'm afraid clumps of 3 birch trees is very out-dated. They seem to be a standard feature of small front gardens of houses dating back to the 1970s around where I live. What makes things worse is when, in the course of years, such birches have grown too tall for the space allocated to them and they are horribly mutilated
    Hope the OP can consider alternative species. Of course "each to their own". ;)
    I finally found the original "butchered" birch tree in my village whose sight made me so angry. Just photographed this morning for your appreciation. :(

Close-up

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,569
    I agree Papi Jo, very ugly. Better to take them out than butcher them like that. 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,377
    AnniD said:
    Speaking of small front gardens of the 1970s, our next door neighbours have a clump of pampas grass in theirs......
    Apologies, ;) off topic
    Do they have friends around often? :#
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,099
    Funnily enough , no !
  • Hi

First thing I'd do is stain that fence. I used Cuprinol Urban Slate (dark grey) it's a fabulous backdrop to show off colourful planting and will add depth to the perspective.