Gardeners World Magazine subscription price hike

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,617
    edited 26 January
    It's funny, l was thinking that l must cut back on gardening magazines and GW was at the top of the list. I'm a member of the RHS so get their magazine, plus Garden News and Garden Answers. I like those two, and now again l treat myself to a copy of The English Garden as l love the photos in that (expensive though !)
    I stopped subscribing to Amateur Gardening as l found it very similar to Garden News.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,449
    Obelixx said:
    RHS membership costs £47.25 if you pay full price but there's always an offer on somewhere for a new subscription......

It is exceptionally good value and, after a few years of membership they give a discount for loyalty.
    Value for money depends to an extent on where you live.  There are no RHS gardens near where I live, and from what I've seen on the map of Partner Gardens, precious few of those either.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,437
    I'm also an RHS member and for me the magazine plus one or two trips to Harlow Carr (with a family guest who also gets in free) makes it well worth the money.   I subscribed to GW for a while when it first came out, when I was a new gardener with very little experience, and it was full of useful stuff for me at that stage, but I cancelled it when it started to get a bit repetitive.  I occasionally pick up a garden magazine if I want something to read on a train, particularly if it has free seeds that I like the look of.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,051
    KT - I suspect I'm even further away from the nearest RHS garden but it's still good value just for the magazine, let alone free access to experts and the seed scheme which I forgot to mention before.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,437
    I forgot about the seed scheme! I usually order mine as soon as the list comes out so by the time they arrive it's a nice surprise.
  • Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759
    Thank you for the heads up on this.  I received the letter and thought the price was high but couldn't remember what it had been.  Will definitely cancel when next renewal is due.  :/
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,113
    Trucker said:
    My subscription is a gift but for ease I'm given a cheque and then subscribe.  The gift will soon no longer cover the large price rise though.
    Lyn you mentioned Tesco vouchers for GW subscriptions. If you subscribe with these can you do it year after year? I joined RHS with these one year, but was only able to use them for the 1st year so didn't continue after that
    No @Trucker,  you have to do it every year,  I save mine for RAC subscription now but it  is like starting again.   The last time I bought GW through tesco I think 2016, it was only £14.00’s worth of vouchers, it’s now £20.00.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,113
    As people have said, loads of junk mail, I don’t mind that, it all goes on the compost heap. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• GYO GirlGYO Girl Posts: 6
    I have already cancelled my subscription, I have been a subscriber for several years but am now feeling like I have read it all before.  The only articles I enjoy now are the tours of other people's gardens and there isn't always one of those in every edition.  
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 2,341
    If you haven't already done so, do consider 'The English Garden'.. a lot of it is free online, masses of articles, many under the archived sections, plants, wildlife, fruit and veg.. and for new gardeners too..   the magazine or the digital version is for glossy photos and maybe other extras, but I find what's available on their website more than adequate..  really very good... and free..