Gardeners World Magazine subscription price hike

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 2,919
    I think I'll be cancelling ours if the price is rising by that much. There is still some great content in there but also far too much padding and adverts. I don't feel like I'm getting great value for money as it is. It helps to get discount codes on bird food but they're readily available elsewhere now.

I'm finding the latest trend for them to take photos from Instagram and use them for articles, especially about houseplants, to be especially frustrating. If I want to look at Instagram photos I'll go on-line but the problem with internet photos is that they are posed, highly edited and don't reflect reality. The magazine could offer critical analysis or other more in depth tips to acheive the same look or grow the plants in the best way but it doesn't and it feels like a fluff piece or coffee table book. 

And dare I mention the BBC policy of diversity over quality... :#

BBC Wildlife magazine is cheaper for the year, has 13 issues not just 12 like GW and the content is consistantly good.
  • RedSquirrelAbroadRedSquirrelAbroad Brussels Posts: 59

If, like me, people always ask you what you want for Christmas, a subscription to a gardening mag is a great solution (they you don't have to pay a penny) ;)

• RedSquirrelAbroadRedSquirrelAbroad Brussels Posts: 59
    PS One of the reasons costs for printed magazines and newspapers constantly go up is because less and less people are buying them. I don't know if this is the case for GW, you'd have to ask them if their readership is going down. Worth asking the question.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,360
    I have to confess that I haven't noticed the price increase.  I was beginning to question the cost anyway so will probably cancel at next renewal date.  I have a collection of about 6 years worth so the majority of content is only going to be a variation on a theme each month anyway.
  • stewyfizzstewyfizz West BromwichPosts: 160
    Havent noticed the price increase. Maybe i'll get a letter soon. I like the content of GW magazine and look forward to it plonking on the doormat. However the amount of leaflets both in the plastic sleeve and also tucked in the mag is quite shocking tbh. Do GW grow their own trees?
    Gardening. The cause of, and solution to, all of my problems.
  • TruckerTrucker Posts: 12
    My subscription is a gift but for ease I'm given a cheque and then subscribe.  The gift will soon no longer cover the large price rise though.
    Lyn you mentioned Tesco vouchers for GW subscriptions. If you subscribe with these can you do it year after year? I joined RHS with these one year, but was only able to use them for the 1st year so didn't continue after that
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,153
    edited 26 January
    You are right about the number of leaflets stewyfizz , l presume the companies that advertise get a good enough response to continue. They certainly fill up my recycling bin ! 
    I suppose the publishers would say that they help to keep the cost of the magazine down.
    I have noticed that over the last year, l tend to flick through it as opposed to reading it thoroughly. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,584
    I used to subscribe, but as soon as I'd got the first magazine, I'd cancel the direct debit and wait until it ran out then I'd always find a discount voucher, " 3 for £3" or some such thing, but that was many years ago now.
    Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,453
    edited 26 January
    RHS membership costs £47.25 if you pay full price but there's always an offer on somewhere for a new subscription.

It gets you a monthly magazine which includes news about plants, horticulture, gardening and so on plus articles on gardens visited, what to do that month, results of trials on plants and much more.  You also get free entry to the RHS gardens, free entry to many member gardens and members' days access to the shows as well as various plant fairs and activities held in the gardens and free advice on gardening problems from RHS experts and scientists.

Membership fees support the staffing of gardens, research, community projects, school gardening, Britain in Bloom, Greening Grey Britain, a website with info on all the above and loads more.

It is exceptionally good value and, after a few years of membership they give a discount for loyalty.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 252
    Gardening magazines are great to get ideas from. I get GW and GAnswers. I suppose it helps keep peeps in jobs! In a way, I support things I like.  :)