Gardeners World Magazine subscription price hike

Anyone else received a shock with their Gardeners World magazine subscription price increase?  
My letter today stated a price increase from ~£40.50 which I have paid for the last 2 years to £56.70 this year, an increase of 40%!  The letter said this is a 20% saving on the shop price.  However the shop price will be £4.99 from March. So 12 x £4.99 is £59.88 and 20% less than this is £47.90. On querying the 40% increase, they offered me a price of £50 which they said was 20% lower than usual price.  So three different versions of 20% off above - take your pick! Someone needs to do their maths.
They let me cancel my subscription and renew using the code in February's magazine so eventually got a good deal for 12 months.  Next year it'll go up to £50.50 which the magazine says is a 20% discount on the UK standard subscription price of £59.88.  (I make that a 15% reduction!)  At that point I think I'll cancel for good.  It's not a 20% reduction, and anyway, 3 years ago I was only paying £25 for 12 months.  
Gardeners World inflation seems to be in a different league to the majority of the UK!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,415
    I haven't bought any magazines for years. How does the price compare with other mags?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 14,713
    I looked at it today at Nantes airport press shop.  £4.99 translates to 8€.99.  I don't think so.  Bought Good Housekeeping instead for 7€99.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 2,113
    I bought the subscription many years ago for my mum as a Christmas present, and just kept it on. Reading this, l think l will cancel the subscription.  My mum is no longer gardening and l tend to just flick through it nowadays. I know costs increase, but this is not encouraging me to carry on subscribing. 
  • HazybHazyb Posts: 33
    It is always cheaper to get the subscription as a new customer rather than  as a returning customer.

Even cheaper is to use Tesco Vouchers but it often shows as sold out.

I got mine for £44.99 which came with free Niwaki secateurs ( the only reason I got the subscription for) -

• FavourFavour Posts: 23
    I've only bought Gardeners World magazine a handful of times. I have a subscription to 'Grow Your Own' and often pick up a copy 'Amateur Gardener' and/or 'Garden News' if I see them in the supermarket.
  • B3B3 Posts: 7,274
    I haven't bought it for years. Too many adverts. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 11,239
    I will probably be called Satans Spawn for saying this, but if you shop in Tesco’s  and save the points, the mag is only £20.00 per year. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose. 
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 312
    edited 25 January
    My library has it so I download it for free. You can keep it as long as you like and they keep several years of back copies. I also get Amateur Gardening this way.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,129
    I have a friend who gives me all her old gardening magazines  B)
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog UKPosts: 449
    Have to agree the GW magazine seems to be out there on its own, not that any magazines are cheap these days so I very rarely buy one.

I belong to RHS so get theirs regularly, and use the site for information, and for my veg growing I purchased a couple of books from Kin*** and have them on my PC at £12ish each good value I have them forever and no expensive subscription.

I would suggest if your spending £40 plus on a subscription maybe now's the time to treat yourself to a good quality garden book or books.
    South Coast Hampshire 
    You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening.