Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Planting

I want to make a small knot garden, slightly shaded site, any suggestions for suitable planting would be appreciated.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064
    Box is the traditional plant for knot gardens but it now has problems with blight form pests, viruses and fungi so is being ripped out in some gardens where it has become unsustainable.

Lonicera nitida is a good alternative being, so far, pest free and having small, evergreen foliage and there is a small-leaved form of holly/ilex which is being tried too..   A main consideration will be your soil type and exposure.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • SprecksSprecks Posts: 10
    Thank you, think I will avoid box, was considering using herbs
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,700
    It’s all about scale. I think something like Euonymus Fortunei would be ideal. They come in different green tones and often with variegated foliage, which in a knot garden could be useful for creating pattern if you choose two types to plant in a design.

Very tolerant of a range of soil conditions and do well in semi shade too. 
  • hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053
    The main feature of a knot garden is the neatly clipped shape - herbs are too 'loose' but you could use them in the middle of the 'knots'. Another way of creating a knot garden is to lay out the pattern in brick or cobblestones - it does not need to be in hedging. You could then infill these with herbs as previous. However that would only give you 2 dimensional knots rather than 3 dimensional with the hedging. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064
    Most herbs like full sun.  Those that don't are too soft - chervil, sweet cicely - for the framework of a knot garden but could be planted in the shadier sections between the knots.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato