Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Camelia first flower

I couldn't believe it today in all the snow one of my camellias has a single flower!!! 
Does anyone know the variety? 
Thanks

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,491
    That's a lovely first flower and I can see more buds already. Sorry, can't identify the variety.  
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • moragb1moragb1 Posts: 291
    Thanks Lizzie27. It's amazing in January xx looking a bit yellowy on leaves so may have to treat/feed it x
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617
    edited January 2019
    It could do with a  good watering with an ericaceous feed such as miracle grow for acid loving plants. (it used to be called miracid)
    Aw thanks Fidgetbones. Doesn't need a water ha ha I live in Scotland and we drown but defo a good feed. That helps to know which one xx I read last year to feed Epsom salts. Any thoughts on that? x
  • IamweedyIamweedy Posts: 1,364
    I pruned my camelia Donation at the end of last year and it is full of buds now. I am feeling hopeful.

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    I cut one right down to the ground a few years ago as it was almost looking like a lollipop, it’s covered in buds now, Best ever but I think that was a combination of a wet winter/spring and a hot summer.  I can’t wait for it to flower. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Looks great Lyn. I have several in the garden and they are large and covered in flowers. Beautiful plants x will post photos when they flower. Love the photos
    Good luck Lamweedy. It's scary to do but I pruned hard a Donation years ago and it came back wonderfully!! xx post photos when it blooms please
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Mine will probably be 2 or 3 weeks before the flowers are out, but I will try and remember to take a piccy.
    I had an enormous white one, but the flowers came out early and always went brown and soggy before fully opening, we dug it out in the end, it just didn’t like it here. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

sad