Forum home Wildlife gardening

Anyone doing the garden bird count?

• Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089

Big Garden Bird watch: The winners and losers over 40 years

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47002018

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,385
    To clarify: you can do your one hour bird watch at any time today, tomorrow or Monday but you can't combine the results of multiple sessions of bird watching. It has to be the results of a constant one hour session of bird watching for the data to be consistant with previous years. From what I can gather this is to do with keeping the science accurate rather than just making it more appealing to people but it seems an odd way to do it to get the most accurate data to me. I usually do a count on both days on the weekend and submit the best. The monday session is to allow schools to get pupils involved I think.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 70,436
    That’s my understanding of how to do it @wild edges
    and how I’ve find it in earlier years. One hour of consistent birdwatching. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,896
    The Monday part is for schools @wild edges. If I hadn't been up early this morning , I would have missed the Great Tits, but as I usually see two and only one came this morning if I see two tomorrow morning I will up the number to two. At present I am watching four woodpideon devour the sunflower hearts.🙄
    If I hadn't been up early this morning , I would have missed the Great Tits
    Me too but I get a second chance to see them this evening. :)
    That doesn't work @Dovefromabove as my birds are spread out over the day as to when they arrive, and one hour would be an inaccurate account of what uses my garden. The hour is so the general public don't think they have to spend all day doing it, and are not tempted to add together multiple groups of birds instead of just the largest group at one time.😀
    That's what I think too but I've never been able to confirm it. Science often needs specific parameters to ensure consistency but because everyone's hours are spread out over 3 days it doesn't seem that consistant to me.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 37,184
    It doesn't matter if the hour you pick doesn't show all the birds that visit normally, because you can add all the other birds which you have seen in a section at the end of the survey.
    I usually pick a time when I see most of the usual visitors, then add the wrens, goldcrests etc which appear now and again, but may not be there at the time I choose.

Wrens are a typical example - I only see one now and again, and often for only a minute or so. 'My' goldfinches have been absent recently, but they've been regular visitors by the dozen over the autumn and early winter. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,100
    I appreciate that they want a solid hour's worth, but it can make life a bit tricky ! I am planning to do it either this afternoon or tomorrow afternoon, but splitting it into 4 15 minute segments would be much easier. I wonder how many younger families etc. would cope or just give up, especially if they don't see any birds in the first quarter of an hour?  While washing up, l have seen 3 pigeons.....
    The important thing is not what you see but how many. Over the years I have seen many birds but because I know from year to year how many of each there usually is it is possible to know if things are struggling.  This year even though I will be adding Dunnocks as I have seen them, I know the numbers are down as there is only one instead of the four I saw in last years count. Just say they have been seen gives a false account.