Forum home Wildlife gardening

Anyone doing the garden bird count?

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,764
    Yep Im in................coffee and naughty biccies ...............just this once
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.
  • Yes, I will be doing it too, although I am convinced that the Channel Islands aren't taken into account even though they send me the information each year.  Anyone else on here know?
  • FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 256
    Thanks for the heads up. Haven't done it for a while so will be up and watching. :)
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,896
    Good for you @Firecracker.😁 
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,921
    I think the sparrowhawk is back, around here.  Just removed a lot of little feathers from inside my squirrel-proof (but clearly not hawk proof) seed feeder.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
    My Sparrowhawk has had a woodpideon, which it sat and plucked in front of us, and a collard dove. Yesterday she was sat on the fence opposite my kitchen window watching me.🙄
  • FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 256
    I think the sparrowhawk is back, around here.  Just removed a lot of little feathers from inside my squirrel-proof (but clearly not hawk proof) seed feeder.
    I wonder if it's the same one we have making a feathery mess on our lawn?? Just along the valley.! It seems the more you feed the birds the more likely you are to get the sparrow hawk clocking where his/her food is in abundance. :/
    If it's woodpideon or dove feathers it's a her, if it's small birds house sparrow to blackbird it's a him. At least that's what the books say @Firecracker
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,382
    You can save up the spilled feathers and give them back to the birds in the spring as bedding material. The sparrows go crazy for them here. I try not to save the ones with too much blood on them :#
  • SuesynSuesyn South Somerset Posts: 433
    I've got some old feather cushions which I was going to chuck in the compost but I'll save them for nest building instead. I already put out little bits of fabric in an old fat ball feeder so feathers could go in there too . Thanks for the idea .