Forum home Wildlife gardening

Anyone doing the garden bird count?

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,927
    The only time I've seen tree creepers in my garden was on a bird count weekend... I was dead chuffed to report them   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,899
    I wouldn't mind seeing my finches who have been missing since November 
  • Nick74Nick74 Posts: 44
    Alas, the only thing I would end up counting is magpies, wood pigeons and crows!

My last house, in a town centre, had the occasional woodpecker and fieldfare.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,388
    Nick74 said:
    Alas, the only thing I would end up counting is magpies, wood pigeons and crows!

Even a count of no birds at all is useful data so don't worry about that.
    They need to know the empty spaces and low numbers almost more than the well populated areas @Nick74
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,104
    I am convinced that the birds round here know when the count is on, and disappear for the duration. This year l am going to try the afternoon rather than the morning to see if that makes a difference. On the morning of Christmas Day, l was struck by how many birds were around, including ones we don't see all that often. Most unusual. 
    Try multiple times a day for short periods over the three days. I need to as to see my Blue Tits it needs to be about 7am, but the Dunnocks and House Sarrows won't come till 10ish. Robins are twilight either end of the day, except the resident male who sings all day.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,798
    The French do a bird count too but on the 27th and 28th.   There's been a sharp decline in ordinary garden birds apparently so I shall join in but, going by previous attempts in Belgium, they'll know what i'm up to and be somewhere else on count day so I may cheat.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,388
    Obelixx said:
    they'll know what i'm up to and be somewhere else on count day so I may cheat.
    It's always tempting to be like Mr Twit and put a bit of glue on the tree branches. o:)
  • Nick74Nick74 Posts: 44
    Nick74 said:

Even a count of no birds at all is useful data so don't worry about that.
    Might give it a go then! RSPB site wasn't working when I checked earlier, so will have another look later.