Forum home Wildlife gardening

Anyone doing the garden bird count?

15678911»

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,899
    Who said anything about making numbers up? Its accurate accounts that are being missed and bird numbers being inaccurately defined as reducing that I was talking about.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,104
    It will be interesting to see how the bird figures compare with the Gardenwatch survey.
    I am only just back from holiday @AnniD so haven't caught up with that yet.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,104
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,566
    We have Mandarin ducks on our pond fairly regularly, should I count them in any survey? Will that give a more accurate result, even if I don't see them on the actual day of the survey?
    Citizen science will only work if people record what they see, at the time they see it.
    So, so you think you can tell
    Heaven from hell?
    Blue skies from pain?
    It's not a day but a weekend. So do we discount those who did it on Saturday instead of Sunday or those who broke their time up into slots to fit in their day? So yes if at the time you watched include them, but don't pigeon hole people into such tight rules as it will discourage them from taking part, as after all without participants no records would be made.
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 953
    With BTO Garden Bird Watch I record numbers daily then send to BTO on a Sunday, also record what I feed.