Forum home The potting shed

Greenhouse advice

Am very excited to be getting a greenhouse! Biggest I can go is 6x8. Just wondering re base-base-seems I can either get a paved perimeter or fully paved floor. Any thoughts/advice on this please?Or on any aspect of the whole process?! Thank you!

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,532
    What are you planning on growing in there and will you be fitting it out with staging or shelves? 6x8 is a useful size.
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,837
    It be cheaper to pave the perimeter but you will still have to put something down like gravel, I just pave the lot unless you want a bed to grow tomatoes / cucumbers etc. I've got a bed in mine for fruit/veg , more maintenance with the compost but I personally believe you get much big / better tomato plants.
  • Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 620
    Hello @Bee G,

Just to add to the points others have made .... 

If you are having the greenhouse area paved, you might want to consider leaving a few of the flags out and have a wee gravelled area  .... great for watering pots on and letting them drain.

Try and work out where any anchors for the greenhouse base are going to end up as you might need you to drill through the flags ... and you don't want to have to do this near the edge as it will be more likely to crack.

Also, give some thought to how you will deal with the overflow from any guttering /  waterbutts .... easier to build in some drainage now rather than later.

Good luck with your project ... and keep us posted.

Bee x

Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • Bee GBee G Posts: 33
    Thank you very much indeed for all the advice-very much appreciated. Think I'll leave out some slabs as suggested-hoping to grow tomatoes, chillies and lots of flowers, and over winter some salad stuffs plus keep my much loved pelargoniums alive!