New Bug Hotel

Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 1,983
I was given one of these for a Xmas present, which has just been sitting in the kitchen since.
I can't make up my mind whether to put it up now on the top of the wall (facing southeast, backed by a fence) where my existing one is, or whether to wait till the spring. I have to admit I've seen no signs of any inhabitants of the existing box, although we had plenty of bees and other insects in the garden. Any advice please?

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 1,969
    I'd leave it until spring, nothing will be about to use it until then. The best places are sunny and sheltered. Near to nest material plants is good but doesn't seem to be essential.
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 490
    I was pruning a climbing rose today and was very surprised to see a ladybird crawling about, it was about 4 deg c and shaded.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 1,983
    Thanks Wild Edges, that was my feeling also. I didn't really want the winter weather to trash it before it got used.
     Barry Island - it is surprising isn't it. I've left my Japanese Anemones in situ this year as before when I cut them down when they turned black, loads of hibernating ladybirds were disturbed - making me feel very guilty.