Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Large terracotta pots

Hi folks. We are looking to get some large terracotta pots to give the garden a mediterranean feel. I looked on a few sites, ebay, etc and there are some nice ones there but the prices are astronomical! Other than looking in the local markets, down the tip, could anyone suggest where I might be able to get larger eg 50cm+ sizes from please? Thanks for any help!

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    I have a few, I got them from a NGS in Cornwall. They are very heavy so I should think they would be expensive to post.  
    I would advise that if you do buy them, make sure you get the frost proof ones so you can leave them out all winter withough fear of them cracking. 
    Dont suppose you live in the West Country? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,841
    Look out for end of season discounts at garden centres and diy sheds. That probably happens in late autumn as they clear the decks for Xmas tat. Also check things like Gumtree where it might come with plants too! Keep your eyes open for house clearance sales.

But there is no getting away from the fact that large good quality pots are expensive. If they are much cheaper than everyone else they are unlikely to last a winter making them a false economy.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,567
    At the risk of being called a Philistine,  you can get very good imitations of terracotta,  saving money and also the worry of frost proofness (is that a word?). Once they are planted up it is hard to tell the difference. 
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    edited January 2019
    I have some that look like natural stone, especially now they’ve  mossed.  They are just concrete with some dark dye in the mixture. 

They've been in use for more than 40 years, you can buy the moulds to make your own. We bought these from a women who made them in her garage and sold them at plant parties. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,783
    thrxvs said:
    Hi folks. We are looking to get some large terracotta pots to give the garden a mediterranean feel. I looked on a few sites, ebay, etc and there are some nice ones there but the prices are astronomical! Other than looking in the local markets, down the tip, could anyone suggest where I might be able to get larger eg 50cm+ sizes from please? Thanks for any help!

Prices are indeed astronomical, I can only think they are targeting the “grey pound”.

I wouldn’t hold out much hope on the secondhand market either. £20 for one small broken pot 🙄

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064
    IKEA had some terracotta pots in Nantes last week and I've seen them in the Belgian stores too.  Very plain.  Didn't check sizes but worth a look.

Our local rural supplies store sometimes has them at decent prices too but they need treating for outdoor use to prevent frost damage.  Better to buy the imitation ones as they don't crack and are also easier to move about, being so much lighter. 
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Probably of no help to you, but if you know anyone taking a car to France - we passed plenty of roadside pottery stalls where plant pots, troughs and other types of clay pieces were on sale at knock down prices- do these still exist?
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117
    I bought some large resin pots which look like terracotta. They weren't too expensive - from one of the diy sheds - about ten or fifteen quid. I think it was a 3 for 2 offer at the time. They've lasted about four years, but they do develop holes and fall apart eventually.
    Your own climate and conditions will have a bearing on that too
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064
    I have a very large, plastic "terracotta" pot complete with swags.  Had it for over 20 years and it ahs withstood seriously freezing Belgian winters and sweltering heat waves but did get a gash when OH was careless with his metal bladed strimmer.   A bit faded now and has a bit of algae but otherwise fine.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • thrxvsthrxvs Posts: 32
    Hi folks. Thanks for the replies, they are very useful. We are in Nottingham to not too near either the West country or France unfortunately. I guess to get decent stuff we will need to just bite the bullet and spend some money! There is a general auction house near us so will keep an eye on that. Fingers crossed!