Forum home Wildlife gardening

I've painted my new bird seed feeder...was it right?

Hi there,

For my recent birthday my wife very kindly bought me one of those small kits you find in garden centres for a bird feeder. It's great and went together very well and in the instructions it said to use paint or stainer to coat it and protect it in all weathers.

As we didn't have any small pots of stainer lying around (only the big stuff which we're saving from opening until the weather improves so we can paint our fences) I decided to use 2 coats of some old Airfix paint I had from previous models - a coat of white acrylic followed by a coat of blue acrylic gloss (number 14, French Blue if you're interested haha).

However, after painting the entire feeder I wondered if I should coat it in something else to protect the paint, or at least put some plastic over the feeder part so it doesn't affect the bird seed. I'm not too worried about the feeder's condition as I can just give another coat or bring it indoors if it's really pouring it down.

Any thoughts please?

Cheers,

Shoxt3r

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,265
    I'd have thought it was okay with acrylic paint. Give it a day or two to really harden off before putting it outside.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,762
    I think acrylic paint for Airfix may not stand up too well to weather.   I'd try and find a pot of acrylic varnish and put two to three coats of that on - no more than 3 as it goes filmy - or else some clear wax for furniture, also 2 to 3 coats with a day to harden and polish up between each one.

Let it all dry and air for a week before adding any bird food.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Shoxt3rShoxt3r Posts: 134
    Thanks both for your help - I'll pay a visit to a DIY store on my way home and pick up some acrylic varnish or clear wax just to be sure it stands up to the weather in that case - don't want the paint running off in the rain! haha.