Forum home Plants

Trees for shaded shallow bank

Hello,

I’m looking for some advice on what would I could plant on a shallow bank between a quiet road and our house. The idea is to offer some screening but more importantly some character. Unfortunately climbers won’t work as there is a foot or so of foundations protruding our from  the wall meaning nothing will establish a root system immediately next to the house. I was think cherry almond trees would be a nice addition but not sure they would enjoy the shade (it’s north facing) or the shallow soil. Would anyone be able to help if either the cherry almond is a viable option or whether I should be considering something else? I’ve included a picture below. 

Thank you!! Alex 

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,141
    By screening, do you mean planting something in front of the windows to stop people being able to see in? Or hiding the white wall?
    I wouldn't put anything there that might grow to overhang the road.  Climbers can (and should) be planted a few feet from the base of walls and trained on canes towards the wall, so I wouldn't rule them out if you can find something you like that will suit the North-facing situation.  Another option might be wall-trained shrubs like winter jasmine.  See here for some plant ideas.
    What I'd put there is loads of daffodils all the way along, and maybe some ground-cover like blue hardy geraniums.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,269
    I'd agree with Jenny, the verge doesn't look wide enough for trees or bushes to be planted and I don't think the local council would be pleased unless it's your own land of course. If you planted anything in front of your windows, wouldn't it make your rooms really dark? 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,481
    edited January 2019
    Just a thought but I would check with the local Highways Authority before planting anything that could prevent pedestrians stepping off the road out of the way of oncoming traffic. 
    Climbers should be fine  :)
    However I would use hinged trellis supports for the climbers so they can be gently lowered to enable the wall to be repainted from time to time. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    edited January 2019
    Is the grey stone wall beyond the telegraph pole the depth you have?
    As already mentioned check with Highways also in case there are underground utilities there.

But if it is okay you could try a smaller variety of Cotoneaster or two?
    Something like horizontalis would look nice, that one especially will grow flat to the wall and can be trained if you can get pruning right, without really having to tie in or add trellis. It can be cut back hard if needed if the wall needs repairs/ painting.

And the pattern of the bare stems in winter will still look good especially against your white wall. They have little flowers the bees love and red berries in winter.

I think it will also do okay amongst rubble-ey ground with some initial care to get it started?
    You could use a not too vigorous climber or two like clematis to brighten it up.

I hope it is okay to post this link to a Telegraph article. It sums up why I like this plant so much, says it all :D
  • JennyJ said:

What I'd put there is loads of daffodils all the way along, and maybe some ground-cover like blue hardy geraniums.
    Bulbs would be my vote too. Snowdrops, bluebells (English please!), daffs and whatever you fancy from the summer flowering ones.