Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Ideas for this yard

jillandpeterjillandpeter Posts: 10
edited January 2019 in Garden design
Can anyone suggest what would be best for covering this wall which is old? I have very little gardening experience however my ideas were a fast climbing clematis or if possible a fast growing narrow hedge planted in the stoned area but I'm unsure what to plant.  In our old garden I grew lleylandi into a hedge but I need something with small roots. I'd be grateful of any suggestions.

• madpenguinmadpenguin Posts: 2,543
    Photo?  :)
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • I have tried to attach 3 photos but it's not working?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139
    What a beautiful old wall  <3. Deep envy here. 

Rather than totally cover it with a solid hedge (which would also prevent any maintenance) I’d put some vine eyes and wires in and grow some beautiful climbing roses along  and up it ... think my personal preference would be for a selection of pale and deeper pinks with glossy foliage. 
    @Marlorena is very knowledgeable about roses ... hopefully she will see this and have some suggestions. 

Can you tell us which way the wall faces?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,568
    I agree, it would be a shame to completely cover the wall.  Also any hedge that would get as high as the wall would need very frequent cutting to stop it encroaching on the driveway. It might be a good idea to check whether the wall needs repointing, and if so get that done first.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • The wall is north facing , it ideally needs rebuilt, it is crumbling in parts but has stood for around 100 years and may stand another 100.  Please can you explain vine eyes and wires I'm a complete novice thank you.
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,568
    Have a look here.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065
    edited January 2019
    A vine eye is a screw with a long stem and a loop at the end thru which you pass a tensioned wire.  This supports the wire and holds it away form the supporting wall or fence to allow air to circulate and reduce problems with mould, mildew or other blights.  It also makes it easier for the gardener to tie in the plants that don't self twine.

Vine eyes and the wires and tensioners can be found in good DIY stores.  They are best screwed in with a rawl plug to secure them in the wall.   As has already been suggested, you'll need to get the wall pointed to make it stronger - and more attractive.   If you  can't afford that or think the wall won't hold, you could erect short fence posts withing the wall and pass wires through, or attached to, those.   

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • I should have said I would like some suggestions of something that would grow high in the stoned as I would actually like privacy from the church windows to the left but I don't think there is anything I could plant to grow as tall.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065
    Yes there is.  Erect 6' posts at 6' intervals inside the wall.   Tension wires across them and then, assuming you have soil under the stones and not concrete, dig 2' wide and deep planting holes between the posts and plant climbing or rambling roses and.or clematis and/or honeysuckle.   Horizontal support wires need to be spaced at 12 to 15"/30 to 45cm intervals up from the base so that climbers can be tied in or twined round them.

Much more attractive than a hedge and can be done without damaging the wall.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,491
    You could plant 3 climbing roses in the gravel (if there's soil underneath) on 3 tall stakes (1 rose in front of each window). If you then wanted to,you could buy some thick rope and drape it between the posts, so the roses could be tied along the ropes. I would hesitate to plant any trees or large bushes because of possible damage to the wall's foundations, which might not be very strong.  Alternatively get 3 massive pots (the biggest you can afford and perhaps plant 3 small trees (birch or rowan) in front of the wall. These will need regular watering of course. 
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone