Keeping aphids off peppers

Rose121Rose121 Posts: 117
I'm planning my veg planting for this year, and would love to grow bell peppers. But I'm aware that last year, when I grew chilli's, they got invested with aphids. I believe peppers also attract them. 

What's the best way of keeping them off edibles?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 11,333
    Washing up liquid diluted in a spray bottle. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose. 
  • Rose121Rose121 Posts: 117
    Do you use  a that as a preventative, or once they appear?
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 11,333
    I only use it once they appear, catch them quick then follow up a few days later in case some were hiding, they don’t lay eggs, they give birth to live young who are all ready to start chewing! 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose. 
  • hayden729hayden729 GuildfordPosts: 3
    If not washing up liquid there is neem oil that you can use. In extreme cases I have used alcohol to completely clean off my jalapeno plant one year and that worked quite well to clear them all off. Then followed up with the neem or soap and water afterwards to keep them off. Still got more peppers from it so it worked just fine. 

Check out my youtube channel here:
    bit.ly/2CRV0a7
  • Rose121Rose121 Posts: 117
    Cheers Hayden. I tried that last year, but it was quite a serious infestation and didn't do much. Perhaps I need to get in earlier. 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 2,001
    Ecover Zero washing up liquid always works very well for me. I use a pump up 1 litre hand spray which makes it really foamy so you get really good coverage that sticks to the whole plant and normally only one application is needed.
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,058
    Aphids breath through their skin, a spray with something like oliver oil or similar in it will clog up their air waves but not harm the plant. A spray with  detergent in it is not particularly good for the plant. 

I boil garlic in water then use the water mixed with some olive oil as a spray on veg and flowers. It works on both GH plants and outdoor planting to deter aphids and other bad guys. I start spraying earlier on in the growing season though and before I see any aphids so they re not  problem on chillies or pepper in the GH.