Forum home Wildlife gardening

Ivy Berries... harmful?

Are Ivy Berries toxic to humans? 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,361
    Not that I'm aware of but the berries, and indeed the whole plant, are valuable for wildlife providing food, nectar and shelter - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=1032

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,924
    The berries are toxic to humans, but the taste is incredibly bitter so it's unlikely anyone could bear more than a taste.
    As Obelixx says they're so valuable to wildlife. In summer the flowers are buzzing with bees and the birds feast on the berries in winter
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thanks for the replies guys. Yes I'm aware of the vital role Ivy berries play for the eco-system, especially as a food source at this time of year. I Was just intrigued to know if they were totally toxic to humans or not. Thanks again. 😊
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923
    ivy berries are toxic to humans, however they do make wood pigeons taste quite nice!
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364
    Do the holly trees eat the berries, I think they must.
    What ignorance this woman has.  I dont want to poison any birds.  

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,189
    Iamweedy said:
    Now I’m totally confuddled ... what do you mean?  Or shall I try going back to bed and waking up again 😴 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,484
    Is this some sort of “message”? Along the lines of “the eagle flies high in the summer” and only by answering with the correct answer can we continue on the forum? “But who knows where the feather will fall” is my guess! 
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,009
    Iamweedy said:

debs64 said:
    Is this some sort of “message”? Along the lines of “the eagle flies high in the summer” and only by answering with the correct answer can we continue on the forum? “But who knows where the feather will fall” is my guess! 

Only when the moon is in the seventh house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars...………….
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,189
    .... then peace will guide the planets and love will steer the stars .....

If only ..... 🕊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh