Forum home Wildlife gardening

Mini Meadow Lawn Progress-2019

• Goodness madpenguin that cherry blossom is well advanced.  Are you in a sheltered area?  Our blossom isn't opening yet - although I am sure this sunshine will bring it on soon. Lovely crocus too, this weather is ideal for them.  Nothing worse than the rain and wind beating down on them before the flowers have had a chance to open.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,393
    edited February 2019
    On the Isle of Wight so possibly a bit warmer than elsewhere but we have had quite cold temperatures and snow.
    The blossom is always very early on the tree.The first flowers were in January!
    We are very proud of this tree,and another in the back garden,as they were grown from pips by my son from a tree in his school playground.Originally being grown as bonsai we then put them in the ground 15 years ago and off they went!The one in the front garden is smaller I think because the ground is so hard,the one in the back garden is quite a size now.
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
    Anemone blanda just flowering and some celandines just starting too.Also a lovely big patch of moss!

27th February 2019

Looking good today with various bulbs etc.
    Fritillary and English bluebells starting to make an appearance as well.
    Although it does look 'weedy' compared to a 'normal' lawn I am finding it endlessly fascinating and am often seen crouching down examining everything in it!!

• AmphibiosAmphibios LondonshirePosts: 158
    I have really enjoyed reading through your journey - thanks for updating
    Finally got the sun shining on the Meadow Lawn this morning,makes everything look so much better,Fritillaries are now out.

March 24th 2019

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,810
    Looking great already 😀. Will be fun to watch as it develops 👏🏻
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • It is exciting to watch this wild meadow develop and view the different plants and flowers.  We will be sowing our second patch probably tomorrow.  I will post some pictures for you to compare madpenguin.
    When the bulbs have died back I shall probably give the lawn a mow on the high setting.Not sure when that will be,just playing it by ear really!!
    The effect of the meadow is one that is grazed rather than a tall wildflower meadow.
    The lawn mower will be a stand in for deer,cattle and rabbits etc.
  • This is the start of our third portion of wild flower bank.  The previous 2 sections were sown last year.  In this last section I have planted some plug wild flower clumps seen in the picture taken today.  The next part is to scatter some wild flower seeds in the gaps probably later this coming week.