Mini Meadow Lawn Progress-2019

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,136
Following on from showing last years progress on my Mini Meadow Lawn here:-https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1022791/mini-meadow-lawn-progress-2018
I have now started recording its progress during 2019.
Lots seems to have grown over the last few weeks as it has been fairly mild down here,grass still growing and a few of the bulbs I planted are just starting to poke through.
A couple of years ago I would have had 50 fits if my lawn had looked like this but now I just find it fascinating to see the variety of different plants,some planted by me and others arriving of their own accord.I plan on keeping a record of all the plant species that are in the lawn.
JANUARY 18th 2019

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 2,000
    An interesting project - thanks for the photos. I expect you might find that one species comes to dominate the lawn. I'm doing something similar on a much smaller scale on a steep rough bank behind our bench - just waiting (hopefully) for the crocuses to come through.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,136
    Yes,I am keeping an eye on anything that may dominate and can dig anything out if need be,but want to see what happens left on its own although I will still cut it at intervals,sometimes with a mower but also just with hand shears.
    Just find it all fascinating!
  • AndyDeanAndyDean Posts: 97
    Interesting project! I also enjoy seeing what shows up of its own accord, great fun.

One thought - what do you mean by intervals? I thought a meadow was cut once per year, late summer, otherwise it won't flower?
    edited 18 January
    I am treating it a bit like there would be animals etc grazing on it,so not a 'Flower Meadow' as such but a grazed meadow.By intervals I really mean when I think it needs it!
    I may cut just a small area as some of the plants are low growing or mow on a high setting to keep it tidy.
    I last mowed in December (I think) so the grass will be short enough to show off the bulbs later in the Spring.
    It is all a bit of an experiment so not really sure what I will be doing or when,depends on the weather as well,last years hot spell took its toll but I did not water at all.
    Will let the lawn 'talk' to me!!!!!!
    edited 3 February
    .....and the first bulb to flower this year in the lawn is Crocus sieberi 'Firefly'.
    Got a bit squashed in the snow.
    Planted 15 but can only see the one  :/
    Snowdrops also just beginning to show through.

February 3rd 2019

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 637
    Any more Crocus come up yet?
    What you were saying about maybe one or two things taking over. Someone up the road had a lovely covering of orange plants with a very flat rosette of leaves I think it was Hawkbit.  Just found it, I think/hope its is right. Pilosella aurantiaca.
    I don't know if it was deliberate but the whole lawn was pretty much covered with little else apart from a bit of grass in between. I read it could be invasive, it must like clay as that is what we are on. It did look really nice though :)

I do have Pilosella aurantiaca (Fox-and-cubs) but in the garden not as yet in the lawn.
    Shall be keeping an eye on it because it can be a thug (successful is another word for it!) but can forgive it somewhat as it is such a pretty flower!
    The rest of the Crocus sieberi 'Firefly' have decided to show themselves!
    Also some other crocus and snowdrops round the cherry tree and a winter aconite that I only planted a week ago.

February 11th

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 2,000
    Progress indeed MP! Lovely to see the bulbs coming through. I've got 2 or 3 of the ordinary lilac crocus which supposedly seeds itself like mad - not yet, it hasn't! 
    The 'Firefly' crocus came fully out in a blaze of sunshine this morning.
    Whole lawn looking good and the cherry is now in blossom!

February 14th