Forum home Problem solving

Have you ever NOT deep cleaned your greenhouse, & what was the result, particularly if you grow veg?

Obviously we'd fear that diseases might build up, but has anyone actually experience this?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,273
    I've NEVER deep cleaned my greenhouse, ever and I'm still alive to tell the tale.  :)
    Devon.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,848
    Hostafan1 said:
    I've NEVER deep cleaned my greenhouse, ever and I'm still alive to tell the tale.  :)
    ditto
  • Hostafan1 said:

Do you grow things like tomatoes, that are susceptible to blight?
    yes, never had a problem
    Devon.
    nutcutlet said:
    Hostafan1 said:
    ditto
     ;) 
    Devon.
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    Depends what you mean by deep clean? I use to wash mine down with a solution of Jeyes fluid and water as per instructions then hose off each spring but that was it, never had any problems.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
    I've never used jeyes  either, it stinks and i can't imagine what it does to critters once it hits the soil
    Devon.
  • I clean all glass inside in early winter and sweep it clean, then clean all outside glass early spring as you have to keep glass clean to get as much light in as possible. 
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,848
    I find mine gets too hot very easily so a nice coat of algae is useful
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,315
    edited January 2019
    I give my baby polytunnel a wipe over with very dilute lemon juice in the autumn. Polytunnel covers are less transparent than glass in the first place and become milkier with time, so the effect of a layer of grime is more detrimental than with a glass house when you're growing things like tomatoes and chillies. I would guess from what Hosta and Nut have said that problems with diseases are not really an issue if your GH is well sited and ventilated and therefore not prone to mould. It comes down to whether the light is being reduced significantly. So if your greenhouse is covered in thick green mould, then give it a clean and then consider whether you could move it somewhere where there's more sunlight, so that doesn't happen. 

Blight happens in warm damp years no matter how clean your greenhouse was in the spring.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first”