Uphill Slope

hi all,  so we are currently house hunting and I’ve found a house with a long garden although north facing seems quite long it gets sun. But it’s putting off my partner as it slopes up hill, does anyone have pictures of their garden to inspire him, of how it could look? I like a challenge but he sees it as he has to cut all that grass uphill :( 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,353
    Tell him he can have a ride-on mower if he gets a good deal on the house.. ;)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,528
    But he won't need to pay any gym fees! :)
    My house is on the side of a hill, most of my garden slopes to a greater or lesser degree, usually in more than one direction too; only the top of the dam is completely flat!
  • ForTheBeesForTheBees Posts: 78
    Unless you need it for a play area for children and/or dogs, lawns are massively overrated anyway.  Buy the house, rip out the lawn and build a terraced-style garden.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,174
    steep north facing slope here. Carrying the bags of mulch gets tedious. But I like a sloping garden - far more interesting than flat.  :) I agree with FortheBees - get the lawn area down to a minimum.

There are lots of wonderful sloping gardens to inspire you - almost any Castle (Powis is especially good), Winkworth Arboretum 'azalea steps'. As my RHS book says, the great advantage with a sloping garden is that the view from one end is entirely different from the view at the other
    To search for perfection is all very well, but to look for heaven is to live here in hell
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 12,179
    My garden slopes by 30’ ask your OH to cut the grass crossways, not up and down. That’s what mine does. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose. 
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,528
    That's what my mower instructions say I should do too.
    Trouble is I live in 3 dimensional space, so that usually involves going up and down that way as well! :D
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 1,279
    If you both really like the house, I wouldn’t let a sloped lawn put you off.

I agree a sloping garden can be much more interesting than a flat one, if you create different levels and heights, a series of garden ‘rooms’ with two or three flattened lawn/terrace areas held back by raised beds and connected by ramps or steps. The terraces don’t have to be square or in a row even if your garden is a simple rectangle, you can stagger them to create different vistas and a winding path, have a circular lawn with wedge shaped beds around it at the top with a paved seating area at the bottom... the possibilities are endless. I’m sure if you google ‘terraced garden’ there will be loads of ideas to inspire you.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 12,179
    Nollie I would love to do that with my garden, could never afford it though, going down the gardens good, it’s the walking back up that gets me
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose. 
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 895
    hi all,  so we are currently house hunting and I’ve found a house with a long garden although north facing seems quite long it gets sun. But it’s putting off my partner as it slopes up hill, does anyone have pictures of their garden to inspire him, of how it could look? I like a challenge but he sees it as he has to cut all that grass uphill :( 
    Does it slope away from the house? You don't want water heading towards the house!
  • FlowerNewbieFlowerNewbie Posts: 130
    Yeah I think it’s the ripping it out part that’s worrying him. We do need part for our kids. @Buttercupdays, I actually said about the gym last night and how he wouldn’t need it  :D also there is no fences to separate the gardens either and the size of the garden is very big. So the kids running about on their garden worried him. It does slope towards the house. I never actually thought of that. He’s made up his mind anyway  :s oh well. I did show him the terraced styles but he must not like the house as much as he claimed lol. Thanks all!