Forum home The potting shed

Manure problem

Past a farm today and FREE bags of manure outside horse field so look inside and looks ok. Lumps of horse poo and looks ok so being me I get 4 in car. Unload at home and think I riddle them straight away with my big riddle. 1inch square mesh. Start ok then loads of saw dust/ wood chips. So I gave up riddling after 1 bag and just dumped the rest on a bed.  
Whats best to do.?
 Any answers. 
Doi just rebag and leave a year to rot. 
Spread it out ?

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,286
    edited January 2019
    So fresh not rotted at all?
    I would re bag as you suggested already or stack and cover for now. But if you have already laid it on a bed I would dig it in a bit. might not be worth trying to bag it. I would not plant anything in it until it weathered a bit at least, it might burn if you were planning on putting in young plants or seeds. If it is a bed that will be left for a while not sure how long though.

If it is free get more and stack or bag, better if it is well mixed with the bedding if it is in there.
  • ClipClip Posts: 13
    Uh yes it’s fresh. Stinks. Not sure if it’s horses wee that’s the smell. 
    My idea was to riddle into smaller pieces. Mix with compost. Rebag. They maybe use as a mulch. Or put a inch in bottom of my potato bucket later on 
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    Sounds like it's fresh from the stable floor 🐎 bag it and leave for a year or do as I do sometimes add to compost heap mix it in then leave for a few months or until compost is ready.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • ClipClip Posts: 13
    Would it be to fresh to put around raspberries canes. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,805
    As someone who’s picked a lot of pony poo from the stable and fields that sounds to me as if it’s mainly fresh poo ... I grab as many bags of it as the car boot will hold when out for a country drive ... I’ve even been known to pay 50p per bag for it. I take it home, tip it onto the compost heap and give it a good stir. It’ll act as an activator and enrich the compost.  Wonderful stuff  :) 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,432
    We get lovely bags of horse poo, just lumps, no straw, but whatever it was it would be mixed in to the compost heap.  That’s all we put on our ground, never bought fertiliser. Except chicken poo pellets.
    We pay £1.00 a bag, but it’s too heavy for me to lift, OH gets it on his lorry. 
    Have to say, I have never riddled or sieved any compost. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,805
    Lyn said:
    .... Have to say, I have never riddled or sieved any compost. 
    We have a garden riddle ... sometimes it hangs on the shed wall in imitation of an attractive rural scene ... it is beginning to look a bit weathered but not in the least bit worn ... it has never riddled anything ... but we have it ‘just in case’  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    We are lucky around here lots of stables only to willing to give the stuff away I always have a few empty sacks in the car so if I see any I can pick up and leave empty sacks in return.

Were back to recycling plastic again ♻  😉

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • MicroagentMicroagent Posts: 40
    edited January 2019
    A few years ago when I didn't know not to use fresh manure I dumped a lot under my roses. I did get some weeds growing from it which wasn't a big problem but that year my roses were so lush and gorgeous! 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,331
    When I was a kid, Scotts Ice cream man used to have a horse and cart. We always collected any lumpy bits he left on the road and dropped it around the roses. Brown wood stems will stand it fresh. Anything soft and green will burn with it. I would mix the lot up into the compost heap.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3