Forum home The potting shed

Getting through the winter months sane

13»

• I always find something on the “ must do” list in my garden even in the cold depth of January, although today was dry so it’s was time to feed my addiction that is gardening 
    So just cleared away some mature Rudbeckia Goldsrum that had grown out in to other planting, Also the same to some Phlox plants. This will make an area for new planting 
    Also moved and resited 4 Crocosmia Babylon to make room for a new Floribunda rose I have ordered 
    So the gardening year rarely stops and start with me if the weather permits 
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,912
    As many of you may (or may not) be aware , I work as a full-time professional gardener , so the only limiting factor in what seems endless hours of work is the day-length at this time of year .
    I don't really mind the winter months ; stunning skies (sometimes) , and the not really knowing what's 'around the corner' climatically .
    The approaching onset of Spring really just means more work for me !
    The weeks pass very quickly when busy .
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,348
    Thanks Obelixx, I will google those things you said. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,569
    If you can get to the plant fair at Beervelde you should find Kokopelli have a stall selling seeds for both ornamental and heritage veggies.  They also have a website cos May can be a bit late for sowing some seeds.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • I take hundreds of pics of the garden and plants every year and like to look through these in the quieter times, for encouragement and ideas:
    It looked great that year, I can do it sometimes!
    Love the tulips there
    I'd forgotten I grew those/ I wonder what happened to that?
    They look good together, must do that again
    Must move that/plant more of those/ get rid of that
    Need to do that edging/build that wall
    etc, etc.
    End up with a long mental list of jobs to do and itching to get out there :)
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 3,247
    When I first stopped work I signed up for the RHS level 11 course in horticulture. There are plenty of places that offer this or similar as correspondence courses or on line so that would feed the Gardening addiction without having to leave the house.
    AB Still learning

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,038
    I sort out planting schemes and what seeds I'm going to sow.  I also order any container plants that I'm not going to grow myself.
    Sewing, knitting embroidery and cross stitch, along with looking after grandchildren, tend to fill all my spare time.  Can't wait for the nights to draw out though.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,339
    Good to see you @Yviestevie :)

im trying to make myself catch up with some paperwork , sort out the bookcases and the wardrobes ... but I seem to find myself painting, knitting and reading instead :flushed:
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,634
    Can't wait for the nights to draw out though.
    They already are. We were out walking last night and the path where we've needed a torch at 4:30 to pick our way through the dog crap was light enough at 5pm not to need a torch at all even with heavy cloud cover (and heavy turd cover).

I can't remember who said it or even the exact quote right now but it went something like: "How can we expect to understand the story of the year if we only read 8 or 9 of it's 12 chapters". That sticks with me in the winter and I like to get outside and try to observe and understand. You can see a lot more of the hidden landscape this time of year and animals can quite often be a lot easier to spot. The local archeological society have been clearing areas of scrub around here to survey the old mining works too so I've been mooching off their hard work and exploring those when I can.
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,286
    Purplerain said:It is so disappointing if that lovely imaginary garden we conjure up in our heads fails to materialise.
     I feel a bit like that too Purplerain, but mine is mostly down to an overactive imagination. :)

@Buttercupdays,

Buttercupdays said:
    It looked great that year, I can do it sometimes!

Love the tulips there
    They look good together, must do that again
    Must move that/plant more of those/ get rid of that
    Need to do that edging/build that wall
    etc, etc.
    End up with a long mental list of jobs to do and itching to get out there :)
    Your post rings true for many of us, just made me laugh, I can do it sometimes and the
    Tulips I had looked great but I threw them as folks say they are not worth keeping. So could I find the same ones again because they looked good together with something else....Could I heck as like.

This one below.  Guilty, but that is a good excuse to get more and try again to see if I can see where I went wrong....If I remember :D
    Buttercupdays said: