Forum home The potting shed

Getting through the winter months sane

• PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,052
    I do very little outdoor gardening but I look after my overwintered stock and have already started some seeds that don't need heat. I keep very busy in Winter as I am in a lot of groups so that sees me through.

I have just spent far too much money on Chiltern seeds even though I promised myself that I wouldn't. Good luck with the Korean SG, that would flummox me completely.
    SW Scotland
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,348
    Hope you have more luck with the Chiltern seeds than I did Purple. I tried their Astrantia and some Eupatorium but not a single one germinated despite following the instructions very carefully. 
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,052
    Oh goodness I hope so @Bijdezee. I have done ok with them in the past, but I won't blame myself if they fail then. It is so disappointing if that lovely imaginary garden we conjure up in our heads fails to materialise.
    SW Scotland
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,565
    I've never had probs with Chiltern seeds when sown soon after delivery.  I do have several packets I didn't sown as I was moving so we'll have to wait and see how they go.   

TBH, I've been so busy so far this winter and then poorly since Xmas that I'm not yet stir crazy tho I am just starting to get a bit twitchy about weeds in beds and sowing stuff for the potager and getting a new bed cleared and dug for my roses......

I have my two patchwork groups to keep me busy tho one is, technically, art and needles so not always patch and not a lot of machine but I find ways round that.   Two dogs to walk, weekly dance classes and occasional other activities  keep me busy as do projects and planning for the house and garden which still need a lot of work to make them fit for our purposes.

Have you tried turmeric/curcuma supplements Bijdezee?  Joyce told us about her success a while ago and now several of us take it.  My arthritic feet are much improved - good for dancing - as are my hands, knees and back.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • I’m currently spending the weekends outside weeding flower beds having done almost no weeding last year after breaking my wrist in Apr 2018. Happily it’s been a mild winter so far.

I can’t believe how many weeds have infested every spot or inch from missing one season of garden care!

It’s endless. Rain or shine, I think I’ll be busy for several years, what’s that saying about 1 years weeds...
    I year's seeds, 7 years of weeds - unless they're the kind that can sit and wait for decades like our local bindweed...........
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    I have plenty to occupy me: the tree man came yesterday to cut my hated escallonia hedge to the ground.  While he did that, I was taking down the front fence.  Now I have to cement in a row of big stones where the fence was, and plant flowering shrubs behind it which will hopefully grow into a hedge.  Then I have to dig over and manure the border (about 100 feet long) where the hedge was and start planting holly, hawthorn, blackthorn and hazel which I hope will grow into something like a traditional rural hedgerow.
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,861
    I keep busy by sewing (not sowing yet) or crocheting........have been weeding as we've had a very mild winter here so far.  There is lots growing at the moment, besides the weeds, but I'm afraid that if/when we do get a cold spell, it will kill all the new growth.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,348
    @Obelixx - I haven't tried the turmeric yet, at the moment I'm on red ginseng which I think is helping a bit. Thanks for replying to that.

About the Chiltern seeds problem, I did sow them ASAP and as they said but sadly it didn't work out. Maybe i did some thing wrong. I don't really blame Chiltern as such but it is strange that both failed. The astrantia are not easy as they need stratifying in the cold and i wonder if something went wrong in that part. Chiltern gave good instructions. It was just a disappointment. I would try them again though. The seeds are limited here and i havent found a mail order seed company here. Might be one in Netherlands, they seem to be much more into gardening. To me Belgians seem to be 'instant gardeners' and go for trends more than raising plants JMO, dont want to offend any real gardening Belgians lol
    I agree on the whole Bijdezee but, given the numbers attending plant fairs like Beervelde, Aywiers and so on, there seem to be some keen gardeners out there that want more than what's available in the weekly markets.   They do have some great nurseries and plantspeople.   There's a chap not far from you called Maurice who used to be a nurseryman.  When he retired he created an English style garden with a long borders and carried on propagating his own plants from seed cos that's what he does.  His wife runs a B&B.    Google de tuin van Maurice.   Helleborus is a good nursery not far from you.    

If you are an RHS member you can select 15 packets of seed a year, collected from RHS gardens.