Forum home Plants

Seed ideas please

ooking for ideas for my seed sewing this year. Want low maintenance , about 1-2ft high and stunning show but don’t want anything that will freely seed and grow everywhere. Usually I go dahlia but I find that if I don’t deadhead they don’t make a good show. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,409
    Deadheading improves flowering rates with most plants ... but what about one of the shorter rudbeckia varieties  ... they’re pretty easygoing ... and colourful. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• The main thing I don’t want is willynilly self seeding. I looove snap dragons but then I got them everywhere despite trying to deadhead. Same with the foxgloves.

can you suggest/recommend any varieties of rubeckiA.

do cosmos self seedvabd grow like mad?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,409
    Have a look at Rudbeckia Rustic Dwarves. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks xx
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,182
    Sounds like you are looking for annuals ? Dwarf cosmos sonata and xanthos , there is a annual lupin think its called pixie which is smaller. Tithonia Fiesta del sol is smallish - Larkspur - Heliotrope Marine highly scented 
  • Yes looking for annual space filler. Thank you for suggestions I will look them up. I love lupins but they get so big for me so this may help
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,182
    Ammi majus and other Ammi's are excellent space filler taller than 2ft but airy, orlaya are similar but smaller, zinnia another good space filler. I am sure they is some taller calendula - Nicotinia - clarkia elegans , have a look at linaria they maybe some to suit.