Forum home Problem solving

Fungus growth

yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 574
I have an old Sambucus 'Aureum' tree which is gradually declining (although it does still throw out new basal growth every year) It is suddenly covered in this white fungus, I think it may be a sign of honey fungus. Can anyone confirm or identify, please?
A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,444
    There are hundreds of different fungi, many of which live on dead wood.  I'm pretty sure that your white fungus is not honey fungus, but another of the many "wood recycling" ones.   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,397
    Honey fungus has toadstools and bootlaces. Liri is right.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    Agree, the fungus is growing because the wood is dead but will not travel in the soil and infect other trees and shrubs like HF does.  If you chop the lot down to where that old trunk was previously removed, it may well throw up new shoots - sambucas are almost impossible to kill.  You could then either leave the new growth or (my personal preference) use some of it as cuttings which will likely root easily.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,397
     sambucas are almost impossible to kill. 
    But it looks as though it can be done
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    nutcutlet said:
     sambucas are almost impossible to kill. 
    But it looks as though it can be done
    :D
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 574
    Thank you all for your comments. I am loathe to chop the tree down as I use it to support a clematis. I know Bob is right in saying Sambucus are nearly impossible to kill. Mine looks completely dead but always sends up new shoots.

A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)