Forum home The potting shed

Addicted to fish now lol

13»

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    Well that's Banjo-ed my Kuhli (okay I know it is a long loach but...)
  • Gail_68Gail_68 Staffordshire_UK (Zone 4)Posts: 38
    Hi Rubytoo,

Thank you for the good luck wishes :)
  • KT53KT53 South WestPosts: 7,303
    I actually find it quite amusing all the gubbins which seems to be required these days to keep fish healthy.  Back in the day when I kept them the tank was set up 2 or 3 days before putting fish in and I was advised to start with guppies, platies and similar as they are more robust.  I did that and had very few fatalities in all the years I kept fish.  If a tank did require a 'deep clean' I would set some of the water from the tank aside and mix that with tap water when refilling.  Fish went back in within 24 hours.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,638
    It all went downhill after under-gravel filters went out of vogue. Low tech but they worked, even if the air pump noise did drive you nuts after a while.
    Some people bring joy wherever they go. Others, whenever they go. - Mark Twain.
  • KT53KT53 South WestPosts: 7,303
    It all went downhill after under-gravel filters went out of vogue. Low tech but they worked, even if the air pump noise did drive you nuts after a while.
    I agree.  The UG filters worked extremely well and if you were prepared to pay for a good pump there was no noise from that either.  When I worked selling tropical fish we had one customer come in and complain that his air pump has stopped working.  I told him to bring it in and, when I looked at it, it was pretty obvious why it had stopped working - the casing had melted.  I asked where it had been kept and he said it was in a box stuffed with cotton wool to deaden the noise.  He was lucky the house hadn't gone up in flames.
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,287
    You are welcome Gail, its been a long time since I had tanks. But I did love keeping them. You might even find yourself naming your favourites.  :)

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,400
    We had goldfish and then tropical fish years ago when Possum was little.  She was fascinated - for a while - and so were the cats - for much longer.   Even had one in the tank at one point as she decided to "help" me feed them.

These days we're keen on different fish as we've moved to the Atlantic coast from central Belgium and the range of fish landed nearby is just amazing, and very tasty.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw